Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Nothing Has Changed So Far

The reports on the Boulder Flagstaff fire are still the same.  Infra-red imaging late last night indicates that the fire had burnt 230+ acres, not 300.  More than 160 fire fighters, on both the east and west sides of Flagstaff Mountain worked through the night, trying to keep the fire from spreading.  The 29 homes on the west side of Flagstaff are still standing.  The 2,400+ pre-evcuation notices are still standing for the area of south Boulder.  The temperatures are expected to be in the mid-90s today, and our ever-swirling and blowing mountain winds are due to pick up and blow between 20 and 35 mph this afternoon.
  I honestly feel that where I live will not be evacuated, unless something horrendous happens...  In a straight line, it's about a mile from the fire to my apartment, but, because I'm down in the valley, next to Boulder Creek, following the topography, it's actually between one and a half  to one and three-quarters miles away.  And the fire has to burn through NCAR, NOAA, NIST, and then through the University of Colorado campus before it gets to my abode.  With nasty winds, it could possibly make it's way here - but, at the moment, it doesn't seem as if it will happen.
   I do feel for those people in the High Park and Waldo Canyon fire areas - homes are going up like torches...  And I laughed out loud when I read a news report saying that the High Park fire was "nearly contained" - since when does a 65% containment of an area that is over 137 square miles "nearly contained?" It doesn't compute in my math book - especially with this mountainous and dry terrain!

No comments: