Thursday, June 14, 2012

Smokey Air

I awoke to the smell of smoke again this morning...  I had all the bedroom windows, facing east open.  There is no visible smoke, but the odor is certainly prevalent.  I feel for the people and animals who made/make the current fire zone their home.  There was an appealing photo taken by one of the more than 1200 fire-fighters yesterday - a water pumper from Boulder was up at the fire line, when a large dark bay horse with four socks and a blaze casually appeared and asked for water. They filled a couple of buckets for him, and radioed their site to the Animal Rescue personnel, so the horse could be trailered out of the evacuation zone.  Some residents have been allowed back into their homes, but another whole residential area is now on the alert, or stand-by, on the northwest edge of the fire.  It is beautiful country.
   My kits were very happy to see me this morning - I've already fed and walked Rosie and Remy, and have visited Patches and Phoenix, as well.  Lovey insisted on getting her love first this morning, and then Nedi decided to nurse on my right arm for a half-hour.  Then they both went out and played.  Both have been back twice more for individual love and cosseting.  Rosie and Remy are nearly out of their Omega 3 food additive, so I'll need to grab some today, as well as some of their dry food - thank goodness the family left me extra money to purchase "needed" things.  The dogs are allergic to wheat and corn, so their food is somewhat expensive...  And it makes buying doggie treats interesting, too.
   With all the reports of illnesses and kidney failure from owners that have been feeding "Waggin Train" products, from China, I am happy to say that I haven't used any treats made in China for over two years now.  As soon as I saw the first report stating that the chicken jerky was the only link between two very ill dogs (in different parts of the country), I have made certain to only buy items made in the US or Canada.  I also read all the labels to be certain that the ingredients are all natural - I had to laugh yesterday.  I read the ingredients of Rachel Ray's Just 6 Ingredients dog food, and was amazed at how long the list was....  it certainly surpassed six....
   Oh, well....  I hope the rest of your week goes well, and I just found out that the 87th Annual Chincoteague Fireman's Carnival will be adding a new ride this year. (I wonder what it is?)  The Carnival will open on June 29th at 7 p.m., and will run through the weekend of August 4.
   Head 'em up; move 'em out!

No comments: