Sunday, June 3, 2012

We Need Rain!

I know that, right now, most folks in northern Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia and Maryland do not want more rain at the moment - after quite a drought, they were dumped on by the tropical storm.  But we need rain here in the southwest.  We had a mini-shower yesterday evening - just enough to dampen the ground, but under tree branches, the ground stayed dry...  It was just enough to tantalize.  I'm spending 45 minutes each morning and evening watering the garden, and then watering all the potted and hanging plants - so a nice rain would be appreciated!
  The sun is shining and the kits are outside, playing in the back yard.  I fed and watered the Thore critters, then watered the garden and plants, and was still at Aiko and Yoshi's for a walk and breakfast before 6:15.  We had a nice stroll, and then a play period before I headed home for my kits.  Lovey and Nedi greeted me at the door, and talked to me the entire time I was producing their breakfast.  After eating, they both got lots of love and stroking.  I miss them immensely.
   I know that as I gotten older, I've gotten more absent-minded.  I put something down, and can't remember where; sometimes I put things in strange places, where they don't normally go; and I do occasionally walk into a room and find I've forgotten why I'm in that room...  But.  BUT.   But, I have never done what a 19-year-old mother did the other night.  She placed her baby, in its car seat, on top of the car, and then drove off - with the baby on the roof.  She never noticed that it fell off the roof, behind her vehicle.  She had been drinking and smoking pot - with the baby's father, and with other friends. She realized that she no longer had the baby when she got home.  So she called her friends, and then back-tracked herself.   She found the police and her baby.   The baby is in the custody of Protective Services and the mother is in jail.  I hope that I never get that bad, regarding my memory!
   Yesterday marked the beginning of Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee; she was crowned 60 years ago, and only her great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, has had a longer reign sitting on the British throne.  Two spectacular races were run yesterday at Epsom Downs, with the Queen in attendance, and the two most historical races were both won by a son of Montjeau.  St. Nicholas Abbey won the Coronation Cup (for the second time) and Camelot won the Investec Epsom Derby.  Both colts are cousins of I'll Have Another, who will try to win America's Triple Crown this coming Saturday.  (And, of course, all of these three thoroughbreds have the bloodline of *Forli and Hyperion - like FancyFax, at Sleepy Hollow in Micanopy, Florida.)
  And, finally, a surprise archaeological find at Burnt Mound, near Dunstaffnage, on the west coast of Scotland -  A dig on the site of a new housing development near Oban has uncovered what are believed to be some of Scotland’s earliest cold storage larders in six Bronze Age roundhouses. A team led by Dr Clare Ellis, from Argyll Archaeology, claim the roundhouses at Dunstaffnage are the first in Scotland to have ring ditches inside the structure. These may have been used as cellars to cool food – a precursor to the refrigerator.  They also have vents leading into the central hearths which would have allowed the occupants to regulate their heating, while outside are the remnants of what could be a very simple form of sauna.

No comments: