Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Week Away From 56...

Next Saturday I will celebrate my 56th birthday.  I'm spending the early morning with my kits, and then the rest of the day with Aiko and Yoshi, watching the races at Belmont Park.  It would be nice if we had a new Triple Crown racing winner on that day...  The main reason I bring up my birthday is because I developed a big, fat zit on my chin two days ago.  Who knew you'd get zits in your 50s? I really never thought about it, but I wish the "zit stage" of my life was over.
   I just laughed after reading a list of the "Top Ten Worst-Dressed Cities" in the US.  At least Boulder, Gainesville, and Chincoteague aren't on the  list! The Top ten are: (1) Anchorage, Alaska, (2) Salt Lake City, Utah, (3) Baltimore, Maryland, (4) Orlando, Florida, (5) San Antonio, Texas, (6) Dallas, Texas, (7) Atlanta, Georgia, (8) Portland, Maine, (9) Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, and (10) Kansas City, Missouri.  I'm just glad the people who voted on this list don't see me day by day! I do not dress to impress.  I dress strictly for comfort, and for whatever activities I have planned.  Most of this summer will see me in shorts and T-shirts every day.  When it gets cooler, the shorts change to jeans...  When you walk and play with dogs and critters, and house-sit, easy wash-and-wear clothes are a must.
   I spent 4 hours with the kits yesterday - I let them run outside and play for 2 hours, and then I took a 2 hour nap with them, in our own bed.  It felt wonderful. They are out in the sun, chasing birds and insects, at the moment.  Aiko and Yoshi have been wonderful, as have Tessa, Lily, Dhisana, and Lyra.  But I had to laugh yesterday, because when the Thore house-cleaner came in, she was walking straight and tall and easily.  As soon as she made eye contact with me, she collapsed (very gracefully) into a little heap and told me her back was killing her her, and could I do her work for her, while she supervised me?  I told her no - and that I had already cleaned and changed the kitty litter boxes for her, as well as having done all the laundry and the dishes; then I left to take care of Aiko and Yoshi and then walk Rosie and Remy.
   Brandi is about to leave us.  Her owners and their son have been discussing putting her down for several weeks now.  She's more than 14, and has multiple medical problems, besides being blind and deaf.  The son can't remember a time without her as a companion, and is having difficulty in accepting that her quality of life is just about nil.  He has admitted that she doesn't greet him any more, and half of the time seems not to recognize any family member; that she has difficulty in moving; that she can't control her bladder and bowels anymore.  I hope and pray that he comes around soon - Brandi is simply not enjoying life any more, and we should let her go.  She is a truly sweet dog, and I will miss her greatly.

No comments: