Saturday, September 15, 2012

Go, Camelot!

Wednesday's rain washed the haze, smoke, and particulates from the sky - but we had a haze building again yesterday afternoon.  I wish we could get all the wildfires under control to our north, west, and northwest.  Our last three sunrises have been beautiful - purple and lavender fading to pink and yellow, with the sun rising as a huge orange-yellow ball; and, once the sun is up, it paints the Flatirons with a golden light.  It's just gorgeous.
   My heart and mind will be with the bay colt Camelot today, as he tries to become the English Triple Crown winner today, running in the 2-mile St. Leger's.  The last English Triple Crown winner was Nijinsky, who raced to glory in 1970, under jockey Lester Piggot.  Of course, I do have an ulterior motive in cheering for Camelot - he is related to the horses I used to ride and work with at Sleepy Hollow Horse Farm in Micanopy.  Camelot is a three-year-old, sired by Monjeu; on his dam's side (out of Tarzah), he traces back to Northern Dancer and *Forli. There have only been 15 winners of the English Triple Crown; nine other colts have gone into the St. Leger's with the first two legs of the Triple Crown under their belts, but have been unable to cover the 2-mile distance.
   Since it's Saturday, I'll be watching football this afternoon and evening - I would do so this morning, too, but I'll be with Sasquatch and Tugger in a house without the internet and without a TV.  I'll be reading and writing to entertain myself, besides playing with the cats.  Nedi is out playing in the yard, while Lovey is asleep on the cat tree.  Today is also brother-in-law Jim's 69th birthday, so I need to stop by their house and drop off his card and gift.  Then I also get to take care of Mona and Boo while Kathy and Jim are off celebrating his birthday through Monday....

No comments: