Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Washington Wolves, Andy Williams & Traffic

So, so happy I live in Boulder and not Denver, and that I'm staying home and not trying to see the Presidential debate in person next Wednesday.  Obama and Romney have their first debate at the University of Denver then.  The Colorado DOT just announced that a 6 mile stretch of I-25, in both directions, will be closed down for 5 hours.  Ouch!  All the side streets near UD will also be closed, as will the Light Rail, and RTD buses.  Just glad I don't have to even think about that madness.
  We've had almost 24 hours of light rain here in Boulder so far, with more expected tonight and tomorrow afternoon.  The kits outside scooting around in the damp - last night he came back inside absolutely soaking wet multiple times, and I toweled him dry.  Lovey has wanted to be held, and sitting on top of me since yesterday evening; she's now parading between my face and the monitor, and she smells like nasturtiums.  And I have to remember Lovey's dental-oral surgery appointment next week, and that she's NPO after midnight...
  I walked the red kids in between rain showers late this morning, and spent the day with Sasquatch and Tugger.  We're currently reading Susan Wittig Albert's The Darling Dahlias and the Confederate Rose.  I like all of series that Mrs. Albert (and her husband) have penned, both separately and together.  It will soon be time for me to re-read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings; the weather is making me want to curl up with those books and ignore the outside world.
  I grew up watching the Andy Williams' holiday specials on TV, and listening to him on the radio and seeing him on TV.  It doesn't seem possible that a man with such a smooth voice is gone.  He passed away last night after a year's fight with bladder cancer.  His voice will be missed. 
  In Washington state, where grey wolves have been reintroduced to the wild, two wolves from one pack have been shot dead, and the other six members are tagged for death for attacking a cattleman's herd.  This particular cattleman is not following the recommendations of the DOW on how to better protect his herd - but is saying that the wolves were brought back to stop the cattlemen from using BLM grazing land.  This is the same argument that is killing off the wild mustangs, because cattle and sheep men claim the horses are eating all the grazing and drinking all the water.  Soon the wolves in Washington state will once more be fair game and will never be able to resettle in their original habitat.

No comments: