Monday, January 14, 2013

2013 Denver National Western Stock Show

It snowed, very lightly, yesterday afternoon and this morning... it's still falling - an occasional mote of frozen moisture, just large enough to catch your eye, as it twinkles and winks in the sunlight before hitting the ground. It's all of five degrees outside, and we're hoping for a high of 12. My doctor is going to see me again tomorrow morning - I have an appointment for 8:25. If I could just stop coughing, I'd be completely delighted! At least the area is supposed to emerge from the deep-freeze tomorrow, and have a high near 40 - that will be a veritable heat wave!
  I let my kits run in and out for about 30 minutes this morning - I think they were cold and were happy to come back inside quickly. The birds were waiting for me to toss out their Nutter Butter cookies, and the sentries called out with glee to summon the rest of the flock when I had finished scattering the pieces. The squirrels were quite happy with a few cookie pieces, plus a mixture of peanuts, almonds and pecans. When it's this cold out, I feel that I need to help my little wildlife friends with edibles.
  So the AFC and NFC playoffs will be the Baltimore Ravens against the New England Patriots, and the Atlanta Falcons against the San Francisco Forty-Niners... I won't pick a team to root for until those two games are over and it comes down to the Super Bowl. Peter Tebow, brother of ex-Broncos QB Tim, placed a couple of Tweets during the Broncos game that have delighted Tim Tebow's detractors - Peter seemed to gloat that the Broncos had lost their play-off game and made a not-so-nice comment regarding Peyton Manning. People have to realize that Tim Tebow is not his brother Peter...
  The National Western Stock Show opened its doors Saturday in Denver. Today through Wednesday are the Paint horse classes; the arena gets a rest Thursday, and then the focus switches to Hunters and Jumpers and Equitation; the middle of next week is for working ranch horses and the AQHA; then the last few days are dedicated to Draft Horses and Mules. Of course, that's just the equines part of the shows - there are cattle breed shows, llama shows, goat and sheep shows, rooster and chicken shows, rabbit shows, pig and hog shows - you name it, the Denver Stock Show has it... If I could, I would attend every day. If you're in the area, and interested in animals, this is something you should not pass up the opportunity of seeing - there are demonstrations, events for children, a petting zoo, vendors of all sorts of things (books, furniture, tack, clothing, hardware, trailers, trucks, fencing, feed for livestock, computer programs regarding farming and livestock, insurance), food of all kinds and lots of photo opportunities... It's a great place to spend several days! If you're interested, please visit http://www.nationalwestern.com/ for more information.

No comments: