Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Attila the Hun and "My" Critters

Yesterday I read a new Clive Cussler book, The Tombs, a Sam and Remi Fargo action-adventure-archeology treasure hunt. It was excellent; about searching for (and finding, of course) the treasures of Attila the Hun, including his burial place. Princus, an envoy from Constantinople, wrote that Attila, "the Scourge of God," was buried in a golden casket that was filled with jewels and silks; the golden casket fitted inside a larger silver casket, and tributary gold and the personal weapons of those he had conquered filled the excess space; this, in turn was surrounded by an iron casket that was also filled with jewels, gold, and weaponry. Attila died on his wedding night (one of several), at the age of 47. According to Princus, Attila was found dead, covered in blood, which appeared to have come from a hemorrhage in his nose and throat. There were no visible wounds, and Princus reported that Attila had been subject to "unstoppable nosebleeds late at night" for the previous night. The book is great, and takes you from Louisiana, to Berlin, to Hungary, to France, back to Hungary, Moscow, eastern Russia, Kazakhstan, and, finally, back to California. Now I'm looking at all those places on the web, reading a little bit more about the places, and about Attila, and how he and his Hunnic Horde changed the world. It's been fascinating!
  Lovey has wanted lots of attention, and has spent the past 40 minutes laying across my shoulders like a fur stole. When Nedi jumped onto the desk, she batted at him, and made him leave. I'll be certain to give him more loving before I leave today. Rosie and Remy are doing very well, all things considered. Rosie keeps giving me these sorrowful looks since she stole my overnight bag, buried all my meds in different holes in the back yard, and then consumed a whole bag of potato chips. I should know better than to leave the door open to the utility room, where I keep my stuff. Normally, yesterday would have been trash day, but since it was a Holiday, I took the compost and trash cans out to the end of the drive this morning. - Oops. Bonfils Blood Bank just called and I told them, amid much coughing, that I couldn't donate because I am sick. I'll have to remember to schedule an appointment after I've recovered. - The squirrels have been having a blast, eating what Bea and I place out for them; and the ravens and crows look nice and content here at home. The coyotes returned to the north Boulder area a couple months ago and all the usual fox and raccoons have disappeared; there have also been fewer skunk sightings.
   I have three more new books to read, so I guess I'll be heading for the public library this weekend. I need to have a good supply of reading material,as I plan to stay at home next week and get this cold cleared from my chest. I'm still producing tons of phlegm, my nose is still running, my eyes are itchy, my throat is sore and scratchy, and still having fever and chills. I don't need to be out running around with temperatures in the single digits at night, and below freezing all day. Rosie and Remy's folks will return Friday night, and then I move back into their house on the 17th, stay for 4 nights, come home for 3 nights, and return for 4 nights - not to mention caring for Sasquatch and Tugger for 9 days, as well as feeding the Snow dogs during Kathy's birthday weekend. At least I'm staying busy.

No comments: