Saturday, January 26, 2013

Denver National Western Stock Show

I am exhausted. I felt well enough to go to the Denver National Western Stock Show yesterday, and I was there for 9 hours. I don't regret a single second of being there, but I sure am pooped today. I arrived early, and since I had purchased my ticket at King Soopers, the local grocery store, I didn't have to wait until the box office opened at 9 to be able to enter the show areas. Draft horse Halter classes began at 8 a.m., and I was there. I was able to see about half of the exhibits - and declined trying to ride the mechanical bull. I did, however, have my photo taken sitting on a 17-hand Texas Longhorn steer, and on an 18.5 hand Belgium draft horse. I visited the children's area early, before the petting zoo opened, but I was able to see the critters as they were brought inside. There was also a very nice poultry display and some of the geese, chickens, roosters, doves, and chicks were for sale. I wandered through the Stockyards, originally built in 1886, and was able to see and pet a wide variety of cattle, miniature cattle, Yaks and bison. I had a wonderful chat with some folks who had started showing Longhorns just 5 years earlier - they already had two Grand Champion bulls, and it was a wonder to watch their 8-year-old daughter groom them, loose, in a 30-foot round pen. I was invited to enter and interact with the bulls, and I did so with great pleasure. The cattle dogs were working cattle to whistles and hand signs in the afternoon. That was quite a sight, as well. I wandered through the livestock stabling areas, and visited with goats, sheep and rams, cattle galore, and the draft horses, mules and donkeys. In classes yesterday afternoon, I got to see the log skid, the single horse cart, donkey hunters under saddle, mules under saddle (English and Western), and the double hitches. I was also lucky enough to see some of the "Roman riders" at practice - they were standing on the backs of the last pair of a 6-horse-hitch, and moving at a walk, trot and canter. I wish I had the guts to try that. Their classes are today. I was able to see and pet the Express black Clydesdales in their stalls in the barn area, as well as getting a good look at their harness and wagon - I was glad that I already knew a little bit about them, thanks to RFD-TV's "Gentle Giants" program. I looked at boots and saddles, western furniture, lamps, fencing, gates, horse and stock trailers, tons of ads about stock for sale and breeding availability, custom made boots, signs, and tons of all sorts of other things. As I said, I had a fantastic time, even though I'm tired after a day on my feet... I'll share my photos soon.
  Lovey and Nedi have forgiven me for spending only 30 minutes in their company yesterday - they have twined all about me, and I'm covered with their scent. Tugger and Sasquatch are fine and dandy, as are Aiko and Yoshi. It seems that both of the munchkins are 3 to 5 pounds overweight, so we take two long walks and two short ones each day; and their snacks have been cut off. They are not really happy with that, but that's their folks' rules, and I follow them. Nedi has been outside, chasing, and being chased by, the ravens. Lovey has spent most of the time in my lap. I gave them a special treat for breakfast, since I was gone for 24 hours... Spoiled? My kits? Where on earth did you get that idea?
  I hope you have a super weekend!

No comments: