Thursday, January 17, 2013

This 'n' That

It's a nice sunny day out - the squirrels and the birds seem to be happy. My kits have been having a ball, running in and out, chasing each other, but Jim, the maintenance man, just walked by, picking up trash, and both kits skedaddled back inside. Since I'm not walking the Rs again until Monday, I think that I may go and, finally, see The Hobbit this morning. I've taken all regular meds, plus my stuff for the bronchitis/pertussis, and I'll take a dose of migraine meds and anti-vertigo prior to heading over to the theater. Currently, the movie is only showing twice a day, so I'll go to the 11:10 showing...
  I understand the new head coach for the Chicago Bears is the guy who prepared both Jay Cutler (current Bears quarterback, and known as a "coach killer") and Tim Tebow for the NFL combines, and that the coach really liked Tebow... Some sports figures are thinking that Tebow may be heading to Chicago. If that's so, I'll root for the Bears; but I'll never root for Cutler again. He totally alienated me when he was a Bronco.
  We've had several more people killed in gun fights in Denver recently, and I'm beginning to feel as if I live in the old wild west... A woman was shot in the back and killed by a spurned ex-coworker; a woman was shot in the head while crossing a street; and yesterday a Denver policeman was shot, and three other folks were in the hospital due to a strange rampage. Then, too, the Adams County Sheriff's department has shot and killed two pet dogs, without provocation,in the past couple of months; one of those incidents was caught on video, the other happened when a friendly dog ran out to greet the officers, and was shot 3 times from a distance of 15 feet. Add the killing of the elk here in Boulder, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe I shouldn't move away. (By the way, the Boulder District Attorney said he'll have an announcement about killing of the elk tomorrow.)
  When I saw the advertisement for a lighthouse for sale yesterday, I was quite keen to look at it. It's three miles off the shore of Matthews County, Virginia, in the Chesapeake Bay;the Wolf Trap Light. It hasn't been lived in since 1971, and is listed as a "fixer-upper" - it has five floors, including the light, three bedrooms and two baths. The price is $288,000, which includes a waterfront lot on the Bay, for the parking of your land vehicle and the pier for your much needed boat. If I had the money, I'd dearly love to purchase that place and make it my own!

No comments: