Friday, February 8, 2013

Weather, Horses, & Carolyn

The weather forecast for today is mostly sunny with a high of 56 degrees. Currently, at 9:40, it's 28 degrees and completely overcast. It looks like it might snow at any minute - but the weather folks can't be that wrong, can they? I keep chortling about the warnings for the northeast - with it's killer blizzard warnings - what do folks think it's like if you live in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, or any of the other Great Plains or mountain states where we, too, get freezing temperatures, tons of snow, and howling winds? I always thought it was funny that relatives who lived out west (when I lived in Florida) thought it was terrible that hurricanes didn't bother me, when they lived in tornado alley, in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas... Now, I have to say it's all a matter of view point. I've found that I prefer the dry air of Colorado - but apparently my chest wants the humidity and warmth of Florida and Virginia. I'll have to see how my businesses do with this current economic down turn, and see whether I shall stay in Colorado or not. Living elsewhere would definitely be less expensive - but, I'd have moving expenses. Hmmmm. Something to think on, I suppose.
   Goldikova, the wonderful mare who won the Breeders Cup Mile (Turf) in 2008, 2009, 2010, and was third (by only one length) in 2011, has produced a very handsome bay colt by Galileo. She is scheduled to be bred back to him. .... Marquetry, that gorgeous golden chestnut stallion, had a severe stall accident at Good Friends Retirement Farm, and had to be put down. .... Darley stallion Quiet American, the 27-year-old son of Fappiano, has been pensioned at stud. He's an easy keeper, and will be enjoying the company of Holy Bull and Cherokee Run, as a retiree.
   Lovey and Nedi have been out, played, and returned to the safety (and warmth) of the apartment... Both are sound asleep; I have the Western Channel playing on TV as background noise, trying to insulate myself from a neighbor's game-playing explosions and crashes that are rather loud. I've had breakfast, cleaned the litter boxes, taken trash out. And Carolyn just called me on a work break - getting a phone call from a friend is always a treat - and having had Carolyn as a best friend for 50 years makes it even more special.... Thanks, Carolyn! Hearing your voice made my day!!!

No comments: