Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My Father, Critters, and Wind

Today would be my Father's 90th birthday. - I miss you, Dad. You taught me to track, hunt and fish; how to tie knots; the right way to put a tent up and the best way to build a campfire. You encouraged me to learn, to look into history, and to dream about tomorrow. You taught me about sportsmanship, and how to project my voice at sports events. (My friends from school still remember you best yelling, "Go, Rams, go!") You taught me to stand my ground for what is right, and you taught me that prejudice is stupid and a waste of time. Thank you, Daddy, for everything you gave me.
   It's windy again today - the wind kept waking me up during the night, as it howled through tree branches and around buildings. The wind did not affect the Galena Wildfire yesterday, near Fort Collins. The fire is at 90% containment and has burned 1,350 acres. Hopefully our fire fighters will be able to achieve total containment today, and we'll all be able to breathe a little easier.
   The cats had a a ball again yesterday, running in and out and playing tag with the squirrels and ravens. I'm preparing to go grab Rosie and Remy and take them to visit Boo. Remy will, hopefully, lay in the sunshine, while Rosie will chase her blue bone and the multiple squirrels in the yard. I need to stop in at the library and get some more books to read - hope I can find a few new ones that will meet my criteria!
   And my friend Michele sent a URL that I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday - it is a National Geographic magazine article about our wild horses, or mustangs, of today's West. It is well worth the time to read it, and it reminded me again of my heroine as a teenager - Wild Horse Annie (Velma Johnston) - I hope you will enjoy this highly informative article: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/02/wild-horses/fuller-text/1

No comments: