Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sixty-Two Arson Fires in Accomack County

Last night the number of arsons in Accomack County, Virginia rose to sixty-two. Yes. 62. Last night's fires occurred about an hour apart, first in Onancock, and then in Mears. This is worrying me, and I live almost 2,000 miles away. The majority of fires have happened to old and abandoned buildings - but that isn't what bothers me. I have no idea whether or not any of these buildings were insured (probably not, as they are described as "abandoned"), but the fact that this person or team of people haven't been caught, and/or haven't left behind any clues to identify him/her/them is very upsetting. Especially since this rash of fires began in mid-November. I don't know if I'm upset because this is happening in a county that I consider home, or if it's because of the costs of battling these fires, or if it's just the realization that someone has been so able to "thumb their nose" at authority for such a length of time. Is this a pyromaniac, who gets their jollies by watching the fire burn? Is it someone who drives around the county, making note of unused buildings, and burning them just to destroy them - and, if so, why? I just can't understand the mental aspect or outlook of whomever is doing this...
  I had a super time walking Rosie yesterday morning - we walked around Centennial Middle School and then played with her blue bone and with Boo at the Snow house. It started to snow here just before noon, and even though the weather folks said Boulder might get a half inch, we had 3 inches in my back yard. I didn't get to see any of the family yesterday, as poor Mike was sick on his birthday, and canceled our dinner. When he's feeling better, we'll set it up again. It's awful to be sick on your birthday!
  It was 4 degrees when I walked to the bakery this morning and grabbed a freshly baked bagel. As I walked back home, tears were flowing from my eyes and freezing on my face. It was weird. And I have coughed more this morning than I have in the past three days - don't know if I over-did it yesterday, or if it was the temperature change this morning. But it's yucky. The kits have been playing outside, but came back in quickly, due to the cold. Currently, Nedi is curled up in the laundry basket, while Lovey is asleep in my reading chair.
  Sunday night, I watched "Vikings" on the History Channel. It was the first of 9 episodes about Ragnar Lodbrok, and his decision to go raiding (or a-Viking) to the west instead to the east. I really enjoyed it. The setting scenes were filmed in Norway, but the majority of filming was done in Ireland, as Norway doesn't have any incentives for filming in their country - no tax breaks, etc for a film company. The story begins in 793 AD, and the clothing, housing, and ship building look authentic. People and clothing are a heck of a lot cleaner than I believe they actually would have been, but I believe that has been done for us current-day viewers. The equines, bridles, bits, and stirrups are far ahead of their time, however. But it makes for good viewing. I watch it once for the story and gorgeous views, and then, a second time to critique the clothes, architecture, and horse-themed historical accuracy. Overall, I give the "Vikings" two thumbs up!

No comments: