Saturday, March 9, 2013

Spring Forward Tonight!

It is snowing outside. The temperatures have been in the lower 60s and upper 50s for the past three days, so most of what fell in the first hour or so melted right away. There's a build-up of about a half inch right now, even though it started to snow about 5:30 this morning. The weather folks are saying we'll get between 5 and 20 inches of accumulation today - and the wind is supposed to pick up during the day, with sustained blows of up to 50 mph, causing blizzard or white-out conditions. I arose before 6, fed the squirrels and ravens and crows, took care of my kits, then took the trash out and wandered over to the bakery for a fresh apple-cinnamon whole wheat muffin. As I walked back to the apartment, I heard a transformer blow in the Goss Point neighborhood, and was very happy it didn't affect our building. (The only thing I dislike about my apartment is that it's totally electric - I can get water and flush the toilet, but nothing else works, including the heat, if the power is out.) Unless I want to, I have no reason to step outside until Monday - but I'll probably go to the bakery again tomorrow morning.
   Someone in one of the apartments next to me, or above me, had a visitor with a dog last night. Everyone left, leaving the dog in a "new" place and all alone. From 8 p.m. until midnight, the dog alternately barked, howled and whined. The people returned about 12:20 this morning, and I haven't heard a peep from the dog since - I am assuming that the owner took it back home. All I know is that my two cats are on ultra-alert to any unusual noise ever since the dog started barking last night. If it happens again tonight, I will call the police and/or animal control. That dog was pathetic!
   **** Don't forget to turn your clocks and watches ahead one hour before going to bed tonight, or as soon as you arise in the morning. Daylight Saving Time begins at 2 a.m. Sunday morning; a minute later, it will be 3:01 a.m.  ****

No comments: