Thursday, July 3, 2014

Haze and a New Fawn

The haze in the sky that I've been commenting on is from 15 wildfires in Canada - located more than 1,000 miles away...  Seems there are multiple large fires in Saskatchewan, Alberta and the Northwest Territories that are burning in heavily forested areas.  The eastern half of Colorado has been blanketed, and there have been complaints and questions about the smoke in Billings, Montana, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and even Aspen, on the western slope.  With higher temperatures today, we also have an Ozone Alert and an Air Quality Warning in effect for folks with breathing problems...
   I was privileged this morning to witness the first breath of a fawn on Redwood Avenue, just after 6 o'clock.  I had fed and watered Tessa, Lily and Lyra, and taken Tess for a quick walk around the block.  Then I went to feed and medicate Tugger and Sasquatch.  After cleaning their litter boxes, I walked into the kitchen to feed the boys - both of whom were staring out the sliding glass door and down into the back yard. That's pretty unusual for them, so I started peering out.  A doe was giving birth just within view - so we all watched.  This mule deer had only a single baby, but it was still a wonderful sight!  We watched her lick and dry and massage the fawn with her tongue; we saw the first tries to stand; and we got to see the first nursing.   After the boys had finished eating, I glanced out to see the fawn making little leaps and bounds - it was just awe-inspiring to see the baby up and running in less than an hour...  Beautiful!
  I had just arrived home this morning when my cell phone rang - it was my sister, in a panic because she had lost her backpack in between her front door and their car.  They were on the way to Denver - could I go find it?  So I turned around and drove back to their house, and there was Kathy's backpack sitting just beside the front door.... I took it inside and came back to see my kits.  They were not terribly impressed with me this morning - I loved them and fed them, and then opened the patio door. Five minutes after I did that, someone let a visiting terrier loose in the backyard; it chased my kits back inside.  Once the dog was inside, our maintenance man decided it was time to mow the back yard....  I just couldn't time things right for the kids today.

No comments: