Tuesday, July 1, 2014

July the First

Today is 22 degrees cooler than yesterday,but the sky is hazy.  It's a nice break from the 90-degree weather that we've had the past few days.  Today, they say a high of 75, 82 tomorrow and close to 90 Thursday.  Warm.  I am currently home with my kits, trying to recover from a headache that walloped me at 7:30 this morning.  I'm much better, but not my normal self yet...
  I  took care of three households before the headache struck, but had to cancel walking Rosie.  Then I took migraine medication and went back to bed.  Had to get home to feed my kits, and pick up my daily medications from the pharmacy, otherwise, I'd still be in bed with Tessa, Lyra and Lily.  Getting up early to take care of three homes before 7 a. m., I've seen quite a bit of wildlife recently - between raccoons, young cottontails, bears, a mountain lion, and loads of deer.  A young doe was standing in a traffic lane this morning, not moving; I was puzzled by it until I saw two fawns, less than three days old, poke their heads out of some bushes and then stumble their way across the road behind their mother.  I was very glad there weren't any speed-demon drivers in the area!
  Tugger seems pretty much the same, but I can see changes in his brother, Sasquatch.  Sasquatch was diagnosed with a brain tumor in May, and he is starting to have some balance problems.  Other than being a little wobbly on his feet, and traveling up and down stairs more slowly than he used to, Sasquatch is in pretty good shape, though.  Considering the boys are 18 years old, and Sasquatch has pancreatitis, and Tugger has hyper-thyroidism, they are in great shape.  The only thing I do differently these days is that I don't stroke and pet Sasquatch when he's on the stairs, or at the top of them, as I don't want to over set him.
  I've been watering plants like mad, with the heat we've had.  Everything looks half-way decent, except for a flimsy tree in a pot on Lynn's porch, and three pots of petunias and a pot of pansies on the wrought-iron table at the Hawkins' house.  The leaves are pretty wilted on all of those items, even though I've been watering them 3 times a day...  I might have to reimburse Lynn the cost of the tree - I just haven't been able to get it to thrive since she left.
  ... And, Australia, the winner of the Epsom Derby has now won the Irish Derby, making him the 17th double-Derby winner in Great Britain.  Here's to Aidan O'Brien and his son, the jock who rides Australia.
 

No comments: