Monday, July 21, 2014

Island Fever And Bits of News

Is this what it feels like to be a salmon, eel, or loggerhead turtle?  This unending pull that keeps tugging me eastward?  I wake up, I stretch, I pet whatever critter I've been sleeping with, and, before I actually sit up, my brain has homed in on Assateague and Chincoteague Islands. I immediately wish I was on either of the islands, or on a boat in between them.  It's as if the moon and tides are trying to slowly shift my body , so that I will make a steady journey back to the islands and the salt marshes. I feel as if the islands are huge magnets and I'm being pulled, inexorably, toward them by my heart...  Homesick?  That doesn't even begin to describe what I feel.   A week from today, the Saltwater Cowboys will walk the northern herds of Chincoteague ponies from their holding pen, along the beach (southward) at daybreak, to mingle all of the ponies together at the Tom's Cove holding pen.  The Pony Swim is nine days away now.

    Everyone knows about the rocket that took Malaysian flight 17 out of the air - both Russia and the Ukraine are blaming each other for the death of 298 innocents - and quite a few were celebrated researchers into the AIDS virus.  This is so sad.
   Then there is the fighting in Israel and the Gaza Strip.  Too many lives have been lost because of the faith of certain people - this, also, saddens me greatly.  I wish that all humanity, no matter what their belief system, could co-exist in harmony.
    Eastern Equine Encephalitis is present in mosquitoes in Massachusetts, and the first human case has been documented.  This is one  of those pernicious diseases that can kill children, the elderly, and those with immune systems that are already compromised.  West Nile Virus is spreading, also.  Please be sure that your horses, mules, donkeys, and asses are vaccinated against EEE.  We have an outbreak of tularemia here in Boulder County - this infects rabbits,squirrels, rats, mice, and other rodents.  I hope that everyone will be careful, check with their local health departments, and follow the guidelines to keep themselves, their families, and their pets safe.
  Jockey Gary Stevens needs a full knee replacement and will temporarily be out of race riding, again.  Gary said that he hoped he could wait until after the Breeder's Cup races in early November, but that the pain is too much.  He'd rather give 100% to his mounts instead of wondering if his painful knees caused him to miss winning a race.  Gary is a great sporstman, and I will always endorse his decisions.
  Tessa, the "gazelle" dog, has developed allergies again.  Her owner started feeding her kibble again, and Tessa has dug a hole in her neck, scratching.  The vet shaved the area and wanted to put the dog on antibiotics, but the owner wanted homeopathic remedies to be used.  She is being given Benadryl, as well. Yesterday morning, Tessa had scratched the scab off  her neck, and had some infection/pus present.  I cleaned the area with hydrogen peroxide, let it dry, then put an antibiotic cream with hydrocortisone onto the area.  When I re-cleaned it last night, it looked much better....   Poor Tessa.
    Well, I'll be here at Maggie May's until Wednesday afternoon; then go home.  Thursday afternoon, Christina will pick me up from my apartment, and we'll go to the Denver Airport.  Then I'll drive back, and move in with Tessa, Lyra and Lily until I pick Lynn up from the airport at 7:20 in the evening on Tuesday.  Then four nights at home with Lovey and Nedi before moving in with Rosie....  Busy, busy, busy.

No comments: