Friday, April 10, 2015

Instant Gratification

Well, that's an interesting trend...  In the past 72 hours, my blog has been read more often in Russia than in the United States.  Haven't had that happen before!  I finished reading Wayfaring Stranger by James Lee Burke yesterday.  That man is a master of writing.  When I read his work, I am immediately swept away to the environs that he describes, and I experience the joys and pains of his characters.  Mr Burke is truly a word-smith, a craft master extraordinaire, and I am thankful to have been able to read all of his 34 novels so far.  I highly recommend him as an author, and as the father of another author, Alafair Burke.  Ms Burke also constructs thoroughly enthralling novels.  I wish I had that gift!
   I missed seeing both The Blacklist and Vikings last night.  The Grand Jury was meeting, and we had several interesting witnesses.  I hope to see my missed television shows tonight, while spending a couple of hours with Miss Rose.  Her papa is golfing at St. Andrews, and her momma is working, so I'm filling in as Auntie Betty, so Rose won't feel deserted.  She is an extremely social dog - tries to pull me down each and every driveway and house walkway that we pass, just to see if anyone's home.  She loves to see other dogs out walking, and totally soaks in any attention that is given her by humans.
  I'm slightly worried about Nedi.  He went out this  morning, as usual, then ate some grass.  He has to come back inside to up-chuck the grass, but he normally gets rid of it and then goes about his merry way - it doesn't seem to be a big deal.  Today, he has continued to choke, hack and gag well past his original regurgitation.  I've looked in his mouth and throat, but don't see anything unusual.  But he's curled up under the afghan on the sofa - which he doesn't normally do until late afternoon.  Maybe he's just changing his routine - I'm not sure, so I'll keep a close eye on him today.
   I've also finished reading Cuba Straits by Randy Wayne White, and The Empty Throne by Bernard Cornwell.  One of the main problems I have in my reading is that I finish a new book by an author, and I'm ready, right away, for the next book in the series.  Then I fret and chafe for what seems like forever before the next book is available.  I do realize how much work, research, editing and re-editing takes place for each and every novel or non-fiction book that is published.  I know that these things are labors of love for the author, and that I should be very grateful for the sharing of their gift.  But, it seems that I'm a greedy so-and-so - I want many, many more books, just as well written and crafted as before, but I want them instantly.  I think that want, need, and desire is a direct response to our new technical society - everything else is available in, seemingly, a split second.  And, these days, I want new books from the authors as soon as I read their latest work.  I know it's impossible - but I still want it, and have a feeling of loss when another new book is not instantly available.   Instant gratification: that's what this current generation should be known as - the IGs.

No comments: