Sunday, April 26, 2015

This and That

We had a few light showers yesterday, but a persistent light rain began about 9 o'clock last night.  It's supposed to rain through tomorrow afternoon.  I'm quite pleased with it, as we need the moisture - always.  Lovey went out for a few minutes this morning, while Nedi stayed out for an hour, and came back inside completely soaked.  He immediately sat down on my note pad, and flicked all the water and mud from his paws onto my keyboard and monitor...  That is so typical of him; he is my little "mannikan."
  After the eruption of Calbuco in Chile, the earthquake and huge aftershocks in Nepal have been horrific.  I have yet to hear of anyone dying, or having injuries, from the blasts in Chile - even though clean-up crews are beginning to arrive there today, and a few people unwilling to leave may be found.  The staggering loss of lives and historic buildings in Kathmandu, along with the loss of climbers on Mount Everest, seems almost unbelievable, in comparison.  I grieve for the loss of lives, for the injuries sustained, for the loss of homes, and for the loss of history.  The loss of livelihoods in both cases is a huge loss to the people who call those places home.
  I've got to go to the library today - I'm out of new books to read again.  And I have now seen all of this season's episodes of Vikings on the History Channel.  I didn't foresee the death of Siggy, and I'd felt that Floki would eventually kill Athelstan for his "poisoning" of Ragnar.  No surprises, though, as life was so violent and short in those times.  I was surprised that Aslaug took a lover, while Ragnar was gone, but Ragnar hasn't been very interested in Aslaug since their son, Ivar the Boneless, was born.  The last few episodes seemed to make a point that Ragnar would die in France - and I couldn't believe that writer Michael Hirst would stray so far from the sagas.  He didn't; at the end of this year's installment, Ragnar, Lagertha, Bjorn Ironside, Kalf and Floki are on their way back to Kattegat and Hedeby.  Emperor Charles the Bald has offered lands, a French title, and the hand of his daughter (Gisela) to Rollo.  Rollo has accepted the offer, with the knowledge that Charles expects him to defend Paris against the Spring raids of his brother. Linus Roache, as the King of Wessex, Ecbert, has been brilliant.  I completely bought into his support of the Viking community, and was amazed by his duplicity. Knowing his character much better, I wasn't surprised when he essentially blackmailed his daughter-in-law into becoming his mistress....  I am completely taken with Ftankie McCafferty's portrayal of Sinric in the last few episodes- he's almost as loveable as Floki!  Many Vikings have fallen in battle and are now in Valhalla - I salute Thorstein and Jarl Sigfried from this season.

No comments: