Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Where Am I?

I spoke for quite a while with my long-time friend Carolyn (in Florida) last night. This morning, it's already 83 degrees at 8:30 in the morning. Where am am? Florida or Colorado? Actually, the humidity (at only 53%) answers the question easily; but I've grown accustomed to cooler temperatures so far this summer. - Yep, I'm whining. - The kits are lying in the shade outside , and definitely not soaking up sunshine on the concrete. I hope they acclimate to this weeks heat quickly. Me? I'm drinking lots of water, a glass of Gatorade a day, and eating lots of Jell0 and fresh fruits and veggies. As I don't have air conditioning, I'm using the stove as little as possible. ... Let's see, I'll say "Happy Birthday" today to Patrick Stewart, Harrison Ford, and Cheech Marin. And I guess I'll say a quiet "farewell" to George Steinbrenner - I met him at the Ocala Breeders Sales almost 30 years ago (my friend, Bobby Anderson DVM, introduced us), and Bobby informed us that we both liked the same horses that were for sale. We three had a snack and chatted about horses - and Mr. Steinbrenner was absolutely charming, once it was established that I would not be bidding on any of the yearlings I liked.
Yesterday, while walking the Rs past an abandoned and overgrown home lot, we heard a loud thump and then what sounded like a young fox crying and yipping piteously. We were three houses down from Kathy and Jim's and I could hear still the critter crying when I asked Jim to come help me find it and figure out what was wrong. He agreed, but had to finish a phone call first. By the time we got back to the property there was no sound, and even though we looked around, covering about 90% of the property, we didn't see anything out of the ordinary (other than the skeleton remains of several cats and raccoons). I felt like a fool, but I know that I did not imagine the sounds of pain and fear - Remy and Rosie really wanted to go investigate it, themselves. Oh, well.... I tried.
I realize that if I ignore the horrific oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, it will not go away. But if I concentrate on it, I want to explode with both anger and frustration. While channel-hopping on the TV, I cannot help seeing video showing gobs of thick, viscous oil in the water, on beaches, covering marine creatures and birds, in marshlands, and pouring out of that blasted oil well - and it makes me very angry. For the past 400 years, my family has been tied to the earth by being a combination of farmers and watermen - farmers in England, Denmark, Maine, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Virginia; watermen in England, Denmark, Sweden, Maine, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Currently, we seem to be looking at how this massive oil spill hits the individual and businesses in the US. This oil spill is affecting the entire world - not just the Gulf coast, even though they are bearing the brunt of this first wave of pollution. I wish that more people would see the whole picture, and that we will soon be able to shut down this monster that our own greed has created.

No comments: