Saturday, January 31, 2015

Snow, No Snow, Snow

I have been watching the snow forecast models for today with an idiotic smile on my face.  Since Wednesday, the weather folks have been saying that Boulder would get anything from no snow to five inches of snow.  On the late news last night, it was announced that Boulder would have a trace to .1 inches of snow today.  An hour ago, the weather lady said Boulder would get 1.7 inches of snow today; she just left the air, again, having made a prediction of .3 inches of snow.  Now, I realize that Boulder sits in a little valley in the foothills of the eastern Rocky Mountains, and we're, generally, a few feet higher in elevation than Denver, which is 5280 feet above sea level.  I realize that because of the mountains and wind currents, it's difficult for completely accurate snow forecasts to be made.  But this is getting farcical.  It's grey and cloudy outside, with 81% humidity and a temperature of 34 degrees (F).  On the plains, to our east, the visibility is listed as 10 miles; but, looking west, I can't see the Indian Peaks.  The National Weather Service says we have "a chance of rain or snow."  Humph!
   I am making a crock-pot full of marinara sauce and home-made meatballs  after I post the blog this morning.  I got a pound of ground bison and fresh eggs yesterday, so I'm ready to start throwing all of the ingredients together.  I found I'd made a mistake working on a friend's genealogy, but, thankfully, it only involved five individuals, so it was easily corrected.  The kits have run in and out a great deal this morning, but they both settled down about 20 minutes ago, so I gratefully closed the patio door.  Roasted, unsalted peanuts are on sale; I got 9 pounds for the squirrels when I purchased the meat and eggs.  I must keep the squirrels supplied during the cold months, just so they'll continue to entertain my kits.   -  And, poor little Simon!  The young grey marmalade tom was walking down the fence line yesterday, just as Lovey leapt up onto the top of the cat tree.  Simon saw Lovey's outline in the window, spun 180 degrees and ran as fast as he could back to his building.  At least Lovey didn't want to chase him and chastise him for daring to walk in her territory.
  In case you haven't realized it, I dislike grey and cloudy weather.  If it rains or snows, I'm fine.  We can always use the precipitation.  But I hate it when it's just a dull grey outside - no rain, no snow, no sleet, no hail - just dreary grey.  I'd much rather be in the middle of a huge storm, of any kind, rather than have to suffer through a dull grey day.  Give me a hurricane, give me a blizzard, give me high winds and hail.  Suffering through a grey day is the worst way to spend time.  I might end up escaping in another book!

No comments: