Thursday, November 20, 2008

Early???

It was 25 degrees outside when I started my walk this morning, and 27 when I got back home. There is a very fine, frozen mist falling; fog is occurring by the lower water-ways, snow is falling higher up; and we're expecting a high of 36. The small birds have been flocking to the feeders, the pigeons are making a crowd on the ground, and multiple squirrels are eating nuts. The word: "It's time to eat at Betty's place!" seems to have gone out. The kits went outside for a brief period, but soon decided it was more comfortable inside.

The widow of Allen Paulson, the multi-millionaire who owned the race horse Cigar, has informed the BLM and US government that she is in the process of purchasing a large quantity of land in Texas that will become a Wild Horse Preserve. The horses that the BLM says are too old to adopt or are not adoptable will be taken to this Preserve and they will be allowed to roam free for the rest of their lives. The BLM says it is very grateful to the generosity of Madeline Paulson (as I am). The exact place in Texas has not been disclosed, as she is still in negotiations for the purchase of the properties.

Kathy said the other day that we would leave early Saturday morning for the drive across Kansas and over into Missouri for our cousin's memorial. She called last night to settle some of the plans, and when I asked her what she called "early" (so I would be certain to be up and ready to go), she told me 8 or 9 in the morning. I had to laugh - early to me is between 3 and 6, not what I consider mid-morning! But we got our ducks in a row, and know what the other plans, now. ... Jim will come over and feed the kits and check the food and water bowls on Sunday and Monday; and he will take care of Brandi for me until we return home Monday. Brandi's owners know that Jim will be in charge until I get home Monday - and I'll just go straight to Brandi's and get home to the kits on Tuesday.

No comments: