Monday, July 25, 2011

Mocha, Regionals, "Late" Pony Penning Swim

When I returned from walking and reading to the red kids last night, I couldn't find Mocha.  I spent two hours turning my apartment upside down, and still couldn't find her.  During that time, I was calling her, both inside and outside in the back yard, with absolutely no response.  I finally sat down to eat a quick sandwich before making and posting signs about her disappearance, and then doing a thorough examination of the outside of the building, including two hidey-holes that I know Lovey and Nedi use.  I was half-way through the sandwich, when I heard the tinkle of Mocha's tags and collar.  It turns out she had made a hole in the underside of the box springs for the bed, and had been curled up in there, snoozing away while I was worrying myself into a migraine.  I gave all the kits treats and then went to bed, exhausted. ...  I've already walked the Rs this morning, and Nedi and Lovey are on the patio; Mocha is back under the bed. (At least I know where she is!)

One of my "adopted kids" has, with his baseball team, won the State Championship.  Now they all get to travel to Texas the first weekend of August to participate in the Regionals; if they win there, it's on to the Nationals in Pennsylvania.  The boys are totally pumped up with adrenaline about it, and so are their parents.  ( I'll be taking care of the critters - MeyToch, the baby goat; Hazel, his mom; Xena and Victor, the dogs; and the bees and the chickens and Topgallant Charlie - while the family is gone.)  I don't know if the boys are more excited about the possibility of going on to the Nationals, or if they are more excited that their games will be televised nationally - and their first game is on a Friday night, under the lights!  Go Aidan!!  Go, Wildcats!!

I'm afraid I might jinx myself, but I think that this last surgery is working. Most of the pain has gone, but I'm still oozing - from two distinct places, just like before.  Hmmm.  Maybe I'm just hopeful?  - At least it doesn't hurt much to walk anymore! And I don't feel like there's a watermelon-sized wedge of corncob attached to my bottom, either.

Today the CVFD veterinarians will be checking all the ponies in the herds.  The mares too close to foaling and foals under a week old (along with their dams) will be transported by trailer to the Pony Pens at the Carnival Grounds on South Main Street - and any other ponies felt to be too old, infirm, or otherwise unable to swim one-eighth of a mile at slack tide on Wednesday.  The Coast Guard, the Fire Department, and the Chamber of Commerce have all stated that it looks like a "late" swim - Slack tide is estimated to be between noon and 1 p.m., at the moment - but storms could change that guesstimate.

No comments: