Thursday, July 7, 2011

Berry Uglies

Wow.  I just finished watching Pillars of the Sky and liked it.  Considering the movie was released the year I was born, it was very good.  I think what amazed me most was seeing so many actors that I recognized:  Jeff Chandler, Dorothy Malone, Ward Bond, Keith Andes, Lee Marvin, Michael Ansara and a young Martin Milner.  I fell in love with Jeff Chandler all over again.
Both last night and tonight we are under a Flash Flood Warning - I can't do anything about my apartment but hope, as I'm n North Boulder with Maggie May, the rats, and Lucy a few doors down.  It rained more than 2 inches in less than an hour in Denver, and a lot of low-lying areas got flooded.  I saw a video from a chopper that showed an RTD bus at an underpass, where the water was almost up to the bus's windows. It has rained off and on here since early afternoon, but I've been able to get all my usual running around done. I took care of the critters here, then saw Lucy and walked her, walked the red kids, then went home and saw my kits.  Spent two hours there, and then it was back to Lucy, then over to meet Rascal, dodging showers.  Fed Lucy supper and walked her again, then came here to bake brownies and Berry Uglies.  Have  played with Maggie and the rats, had my own supper, baked the brownies and watched the movie.  It's about time I started in on the Berry Uglies...
With the rain, we only had a high today of 85, and it's currently 64 outside, but the humidity is at 93%.  That's almost unheard of in Colorado... 

*** Berry Uglies ***
3 cups self-rising flour (plus a bit more)
1/2 cup plus 1 tbs sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tbs lemon zest
1 tbs orange extract
1/2 cup dried fruit bits (chopped up, if not in bits already!)
3 cups fresh fruit (I use blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and/or cherries)
Optional: one beaten egg and extra sugar

~Preheat oven to 425 degrees; place parchment on baking sheets
~Mix the 3 cups of flour and all the sugar in a large bowl.  Using a pastry blender, mix in the butter, having first cut it into small pieces.  If you don't  have a pastry blender, use your fingers to rub the dry mixture and butter together.  Blend until you have a coarse mixture.
~Slowly mix in the buttermilk. Then add the lemon zest, orange extract, and dried fruit bits; mixing well.  Add the fresh fruit, cut into small pieces.  Mix well.  (You might need to add a little more flour now.)
~ Place dough on floured board or baking pan - knead lightly.  Add more flour if dough is too sticky/wet.  Use your hands to spread the dough out until it's between 1/2 and 3/4 inch thick.  Use a round cookie or doughnut (without the hole) cutter.  Reshape dough as needed while cutting.
~Place cut dough on parchment sheets on baking trays. (If desired, brush tops with a beaten egg - or buttermilk -  and then sprinkle with sugar.)
~Bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 25 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
 Best if stored in Tupperware-type container.

Enjoy!

No comments: