Sunday, July 10, 2011

Rascal & Brandi

Rascal is a new client; his owner was referred to me by Alexy.  Rascal is a medium- to long-haired very dark tabby.  His coat varies from black to light grey, and while he definitely knows that I am not one of his regular people, he greets me with cries of delight as I open the door.  He winds about my ankles, and nips at my toes.  He plays with his toys and gets hyper-stimulated and wants to be chased...  I usually act as if I'm going to find him, then stop and look away while saying out loud, "I wonder where that Rascal is is?"  Then he jumps out at me, and I act surprised and run from him.  He seems to enjoy this immensely.  I visit him two to four times a day -  started yesterday, and ending the night of the 16th.
I am continuing to care for Brandi - she is such a sweetheart!  Even though she can't see or hear, or even smell well now, she knows where everything is inside the house and out in the yard.  She is sleeping a lot more, but she is also very old.  I'm always afraid that each time I care for her will be the last.  But since she has gotten older, and her meds don't work anymore, she gets to eat what she wants - and she mostly wants what I'm eating.  She loves spaghetti and marinara sauce with ground beef.  She also likes salmon, and baked chicken breast is always something that will tempt her to beg.  She doesn't snore as much as she used to, but she has several episodes of panting each night.  The vet said that at her age, and with her problems, it's normal.
Monday and Tuesday I get to sleep with Lovey and Nedi in my bed.  Wednesday I start back at the Thore house, while Thursday and Friday nights I'm at Alexy's.  Then it's back to the Thore house.  I'll then have Monday, the 18th, at home before going in for surgery Tuesday morning.  At least the operation that Dr. P is going to perform has been documented since about 300 BC - Hippocrates used this method, and even wrote about it.  So I guess I can't complain!

No comments: