Saturday, July 30, 2011

Today is for Relaxation

I actually slept in this morning - 6:15 is when I got up because I couldn't lay in bed any longer. I took a cooling shower and then headed out to grab a bagel at the bakery.  Going out, I passed Choky, my neighbor, and asked if I was doing a good job of keeping the litter box odor under control (she constantly complains about it, and I can't smell a thing).  She said she hadn't smelled anything lately, but the sound of my fan blowing in my hallway now keeps her awake - is there anything I can do to quiet the "whi-i-i-i-ne?" She said she has found a new apartment, but she's taking the owner of Harvest Manor to court to make him pay the difference between the rents...  I really don't know about her.  Anyway, I got my bagel and came back home. The kits are playing in the yard and I've read my e-mail and all my usual news and interest sites, so it's time to sit down and blog.

Pony Penning 2011 is over, other than 3 more nights of the Fireman's Carnival (tonight and next Friday and Saturday nights).  All the foals purchased on Thursday during the Pony Auction had to leave the Carnival Grounds in an approved DOT trailer by 5 p.m. Friday.  All of the ponies returning to Assateague were herded back down the route they came up on Wednesday, to reach the Swim Point.  At slack tide, the ponies were herded back into the water to swim back to Assateague.  Once they reached the shore of Assateague, they were left to their own devices to separate into their herds and gradually graze their way back to their normal territories on that island.  -  The ponies will be rounded up again in October for the Fall Round-Up, at which time any foals too young to be separated from their mothers will be handed over to their buyers from Wednesday. (The ponies are actually rounded up three times each year for check-ups from the veterinarian, for foot checks by the farrier, and for any scheduled vaccinations. They are checked on daily by members of the Pony Committee to be sure they are all in good health, too.)

Once August 3 rolls around, I'll be very busy.  I'm scheduled to be at some one's home, pet- and house-sitting, through September 11.  It will be an interesting time.  I see Dr. Pohlman about  my bottom on Tuesday afternoon; at the moment, I'm dreading what he'll say.  I have the feeling I'm in for more surgery....  Two of the Broncos' new rookies were injured during practice yesterday.  Von Miller, the second draft pick, bruised his thigh and had to leave practice less than 24 hours after signing a $21 million deal.   And safety Quinton Carter, a fourth round draft pick from Oklahoma, collapsed from heat exhaustion less than 30 minutes after Miller was injured.  It's a great way to start training camp, guys!

No comments: