Monday, March 5, 2012

Books, Cats, Dogs, Weather

At least it's a little less windy today than yesterday...  we drove up to the top of Flagstaff Mountain yesterday, had lunch, and then took the dogs on a two-hour walk.  Then I went over and spent a couple of hours with Rosie and Remy, and by the time I got back to Finn's, I had one of my really bad migraines that was compounded by the wind.  I spent most of the evening and all night in bed.  I'm feeling much better this morning, but still am not yet 100%.  The kits are out sunning on the patio at the moment - I awoke early and took Finn for an early morning walk, took out the trash, and fed and medicated Finn and Skippy.  Finn is now on Benadryl, plus an oral steroid, plus a topical spray for a hot spot on his left hind and on his tummy.  Skippy is just Skippy - big, lovable, and occasionally in search of attention.
  We're expecting temps in the mid-60s today and tomorrow - but our high Wednesday is pointed at 30 degrees, with snow.  We'll have to see what happens.  I'm at Finn's house until Wednesday night, so I'll need to carry my winter gear over there Tuesday. 
   The outbreak of tornadoes across the midwest and the eastern parts of the country is heart wrenching.  Seeing the destruction and hearing about the losses of life, pets, and material possessions is so awfully sad.  My heart goes out to all of the people who have been affected by this wave of tornadic activity.  I cringe every time the news comes on these days - what with twisters, lava flows, and earthquakes, it seems that Mother Nature is having a few bad days.
   It seems that my brother-in-law is traveling to Bhutan for 4 weeks in April and May.  He's going with a lady who is an expert on arctic tundra, so I'm guessing they will be going to northern Bhutan, where that is.  My biggest hope is that Jim will be able to see (and photograph) two of Bhutan's endangered species - the takin and the dhole - both are found in both central and northern Bhutan. 
   I just finished reading Nightshade, a P. C. Doherty Hugh Corbett mystery, and The Kingdom, a Fargo adventure tale by Clive Cussler and Grant Blackwood.  I have a new Alys Clare and a Pat McIntyre book to choose between for today's read.  - And, tomorrow, Intruder, the latest of the C. J. Cherryh Foreigner series will be released.  I can't wait to read the further adventures of Bren Cameron, Banichi, Jago, Cenedi, and the Royal Household on the atevi planet!  My copy is reserved, and I get to pick it up in the morning (and I am so happy!)

No comments: