Thursday, March 1, 2012

Miscellany

I'm blogging before going out with the Irish kids this morning.  It's above freezing at the moment, but the temperature is supposed to drop throughout the day and we're to get snow late this afternoon through tomorrow morning.  But it's also supposed to clear and we'll have highs in the 50s over the weekend.  That'll be nice, as Brenda and VT are looking forward to our hike on Sunday.  ...  I met Nancy, the new neighbor in A-116 yesterday, as well as her three cats; and she met Lovey.  Nedi ran under the bed and refused to come out, so she got a glimpse of him, but that was all.
  If you live in or near Boulder, and are looking for a puppy, the Boulder Valley Humane Society just accepted 70 puppies from an over-crowded shelter in Oklahoma.  All pups are ready to be adopted, and are between 12 and 20 weeks old.  They are adorable!  Also, please be certain to have your pets/companions/friends vaccinated against rabies.  It's not a current problem in Colorado, but near Carlsbad, New Mexico there is a rabies outbreak - 32 dogs, 1 cat, and multiple head of livestock have had to be killed.  In Eddy County, New Mexico, there have been 22 skunks, 1 fox, and 1 dog that have been confirmed to have this awful disease.  Please protect your critters!
   I only watch snippets of The Big Bang Theory because I find it moronic.  However, I did get a chuckle out of their version of Rock, Paper, Scissors, which added a topper of "Spock", signified by the use of the "Live long and prosper" symbol.  It turns out that on the episode to be aired on March 29, Leonard Nimoy will make a voice appearance, speaking as Spock, in a dream that Sheldon has.  I might have to watch that episode.  ...  I was saddened to hear of the death of Davy Jones of the band and TV show The Monkees yesterday.  I liked his British accent, but he was too much of a pretty boy for my taste - I liked silent Mike Nesmith and clown Peter Tork.  But I can definitely still sing along with almost every Monkees song that I hear.   ...  And - big sigh - today marks the death of King Elessar of Gondor.  Also known as Strider and Elf Stone and a multitude of other names during his long life, he was the last of the Dunedain - until his wedding with Arwen Evenstar, and the birth of their sons.  I need to pull out my Tolkien books and re-read them.

No comments: