Friday, March 2, 2012

Snow, Chincoteague and Assateague

It's 18 degrees outside, but there is no snow on the ground.  I saw a few flurries yesterday morning when I was out with Rosie and Remy, and again around 3:00 yesterday afternoon; but that's been it.  I really did laugh, because just before 9 yesterday morning, the forecast of 3 inches of snow for Boulder was reiterated.  At noon, the weather guy said that since it was snowing with such intensity, they were upping the forecast to 6 to 8 inches of snow for Boulder.  At that time, I stepped out on the patio, looked around, sniffed, and shook my head... It just felt and smelled too dry.  During the 5 p.m. news, they said they were scaling back the snow forecast, and that Denver might get one inch, but it would be a "trace" amount in Boulder.  It's very cold out, but the sky is cloudless - I don't think it'll snow here today.
  The old Roxy Island Theater on Chincoteague is up for sale.  In recent years, it has only been open during the height of the tourist season, and for the past few years, the owners have not even shown Misty during Pony Penning.  The Chincoteague Island Arts Organization plans on changing that.  They have raised $100,000 and need to raise $25,000 more to be able to purchase the old theater.  They plan on using the venue year-round - for movies, art shows, and to show Misty during the week of Pony Penning.  My grandparents invested in the Roxy back when it was rebuilt in 1934 - they owned several shares, as did most local families.  It was a local endeavor and everyone profited.  I hope that the CIAO can fulfill their dreams, and keep the Roxy Island Theater going on in this century.
  Fifty years ago, the Ash Wednesday Storm of 1962 devastated the islands of Chincoteague and Assateague.  A way of life was wiped out and changed forever. Tomorrow, March 3, there will be a meeting at the Chincoteague Island National Wildlife Refuge to remember that fateful day and those that followed.  Homemade films, news reports, and news reel footage have been combined to make a film showing what occurred.  Still photos from residents will be shown, and the people who lived through the storm will tell their tales of hardship and survival.  I wish I could attend.
  And, I find myself conflicted.  Several weeks ago I posted on this blog an open letter from a Chincoteaguer about the proposed trolley car plan for carrying people, kids, and belongings over to Assateague to go the beach.  The writer was opposed to this suggestion because a lot of previous visitors to the islands have said they would not return, if there was no beach parking.  Of course, island revenue is the main push behind this position.  But this week, I read another well-informed letter from someone who looked at both sides of the story.  This gentleman used some of the governments' well-documented evidence in his argument; and, after looking at some of the evidence, I feel inclined to support the idea of a trolley or bus system to visit the beach at Assateague.  I'll post that tomorrow....

No comments: