Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Why Do I Smell Smoke?

Maybe I smell smoke for the same reason there were ashes drifting down out of the sky yesterday afternoon....  The wildfire near Evergreen is still out of control; it's burned over 6,000 acres, destroyed at least 23 homes, an elderly couple have lost their lives, and a woman is missing.  Fire retardant, slurry, and water drops are being made by small planes, helicopters and cargo-type planes.  Normally, Colorado gets almost 12 inches of snow in the month of March; this year, just enough to be measured as "trace," and no rain to speak of.  We are having the driest March ever, since the new citizens of the territory (us white folks) began to keep records, back in the late 1800s.  The current forecast says me might get a few rain showers on April 1 or 2....
   My kits definitely miss me, and I'm running around between houses like a maniac.  I'm trying to keep a close watch on Remy, and then there's Oly, with her cast...  I have to stop agreeing to watch so many houses - even though they are fairly close together (all but one on the same block).  I miss being able to sack out with my kits at any time I feel like doing so.  I've had someone inquiring about me walking a new set of dogs on a daily basis, but I'm going to have to turn them down...  I just don't have the time.
   Thoroughbred trainer Bob Baffert had a heart attack earlier this week, while in Dubai.  He is expected to be released from the hospital there tomorrow, so that he can watch his horses work before the Dubai World Cup races on Saturday.  Good luck to him.

No comments: