Friday, April 27, 2012

A Mish-Mash

Eight days before the Kentucky Derby, and I can only name two or three colts that are running...  that is far from usual for me.  But there has been no big stand out star - either last year, as two-year-olds, or this year as threes.  I like a lot of the trainers and jockeys - but I haven't really formed any opinions of the colts themselves.  I guess that I'll have to wait until the post draw on Wednesday, then look at the kids' pedigrees, connections, and any film I can find on-line.  Of course, my opinion might change on Derby Day itself - depending on the track condition and the way the colts carry themselves.
  The Department of Wildlife got to visit CU campus here yesterday - there was a 200-pound black bear on campus, that ran into a female student, and then went and "hid" in a tree.  The bear was tranquilized, tagged, and moved back into the mountains.  ....  I spent yesterday (a) with a headache that wouldn't end, (b) taking Kathy around to various needed appointments, (c) taking care of Sadie and Lucy, and, finally, (d) wandering over to the Snitman's to borrow their XR7 for the weekend.  When I walked to the Snitman house last night, the wind was whipping down the foothills from the west, layers upon layers of dark clouds were scurrying across the sky, distant lightning could be seen to the east, and I walked through a few light showers.  I had left the Stone house and was wandering through an open area I didn't know - I just kept taking the branch of the trail that I thought would take me in the correct direction.  I, luckily, made the right choices and cut about a half-mile off my walk.  That made me feel good about my decision making.
  I left my kits yesterday morning, and then re-visited them in the afternoon.  This morning, it's grey and cooler out (we did have a nice rain late last night), and a dog just barked outside the patio, here at home, causing both Nedi and Lovey to flee inside.  It appears one of the neighbors had his lady friend and her dog over for the night...  My kits are fine.  They are a little disgusted, however, that I closed the patio door (since I didn't know if the dog would trespass or not).  So I'll be caring for Sadie and Lucy today, and I add Alexy's kits at 10 this morning.  Poor Cloudy; she has been at the Vet ER twice in the last 5 weeks, as a new neighboring tabby has been attacking her and has done quite a bit of muscle damage to her thigh.
   I have to admit to stopping by McDonald's this morning, and grabbing a sausage and egg muffin and a mango-pineapple smoothie.  I let Nedi have some of the smoothie, but I drank most of it.  And I really enjoyed Person of Interest last night...  The show proved that Reese had not killed his last CIA partner, even though he had orders to, from Agent Snow.  His partner, it turns out, had the same orders, from the same person.  Somehow, both of them made it out of China alive - and now she is back, confronting Agent Snow in NYC. -  Cool!

No comments: