Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Family in the Bolder Boulder

The Bolder Boulder was run Monday, on Memorial Day, and, for the first time since 2006, there were less than 50,000 entrants.  The BB is a 5 kilometer (6 + miles) race along the hilly streets of Boulder.  This year, there were 48,741 runners.  One hundred and twenty-five of those runners were treated by EMTs, either along the way, or at the finish line - most for heat related illness.  One man had chest pain and was taken to the hospital, where he was "resting comfortably" in the afternoon.
  I am very proud to say that my 69-year-old brother-in-law finished 3rd in his age group, defeating 77 other men of his age.  And my sister, Kathy, was 7th in the 63-year-old category, besting 22 other women.  I am amazed that Kathy ran at all in this year's race, because she took a bad fall on pavement Sunday night.  She ran with scraped hands, road rash on her knees, a bad wrist, and huge bruises on her legs.  I have to admit that I would not have participated, had it happened to me.
  So, here's my shout out, since I wasn't at my usual spot:  "Way to go, Snow! Go, go, go!"

No comments: