Saturday, May 4, 2013

Kentucky Derby Today - & Other Things

Looking at the radar, it seems that there will be rain at the Kentucky Derby today.  The questions are:  how much rain, how well is the track sealed, and whether it will be pouring during the race itself....
Without the rain, I would bet on Java's War, Will Take Charge, and Lines of Battle; with rain probable, I'd bet on Revolutionary, Falling Sky, and Itsmyluckyday.  I'm not going to make bets other than for a winner today, as I did yesterday - and the Derby really is wide open.  I don't like betting for the favorite, and at the moment, the co-favorites are Goldencents and Revolutionary.  I will place $10 to win bets on four horses:  Frac Daddy, Oxbow, Vyjack, and Charming Kitten.  We'll see what happens - it's a guessing game today.
** Also, Dr. Larry Bramlage has not returned to work at Churchill Downs following a head injury and hospitalization on Thursday.  Veterinarian Dr. Mary Scollay will be the vet on call at the Derby  (and other races) today.**
  More than 43 square miles have been burned in California by several wildfires.  My heart and prayers go out to these folks; if not for the last 4 weeks, and 5 feet, of snow it could very well be Colorado with that headline.  ....  Cinco de Mayo celebrations are taking place all over the West today.  .... On the Eastern Shore of Virginia, today is the Chincoteague Seafood Festival and Chinco de Mayo; there is a Fire Department Celebration in Parksley; and there will be an auction of 3,500 decoys from the Waterfowl Museum.
   Nedi has developed a craving to line his favorite sleeping places with the calico I'm using for my niece's baby quilt.  He steals the pieces from the sewing bag during the night, or when I'm out working.  The only reason I noticed it was because I saw some bright fish swimming across the back of one of Nedi's hidey-holes yesterday.  I found ten different lengths of calico and one plastic template in his hoard....   - Kids!

No comments: