Saturday, May 18, 2013

No Triple Crown Winner This Year

I watched several of the races before today's Preakness.  I have to confess that, after watching Skyring win the Dixie Stakes, I made a fourth $10 to win bet.  Skyring last won a race last year, in May, at Pimlico; the trainer is D Wayne Lucas, and the jockey Gary Stevens.  I had picked Oxbow in the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago; but he turned up as the longest bet for the Preakness today, and I just had a feeling that the Lucas-Stevens combination wouldn't be beaten.  Oxbow was on the lead from the gate to the wire.  He was tired, but finished gamely - and I ended up with a winning bet.  My $10 returned as $328;  of course, I did loose $30 on my other bets, but I ended up in the black.
  Itsmyluckyday ran his eyeballs out, and finished just in front of Mylute, who was third.  Orb did not have an excuse for his fourth place finish, other than he's never been caught and trapped on the inside - and he apparently didn't like it.  Goldencents finished in fifth, with Departing (another of my picks) in sixth.  Will Take Charge was seventh, Govenor Charlie was eighth, and Titletown Five completed the field.  SO my betting choices ran first, second, sixth and eighth - not a wonderful set, but I did pick Oxbow.
  It was great seeing D Wayne Lucas and Gary being interviewed together - it took me back to the Kentucky Derby of 1988 and the grey filly Winning Colors.  Nice memories.
Gary Stevens waves his whip after winning the Preakness on Oxbow

25 years ago - Gary Stevens and Winning Colors after the 1988 Kentucky Derby

No comments: