Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas Meal?

Poor Broncos fans - we watched in disbelief last night as the Cincinnati Bengals picked the defense apart and totally confused and read Peyton Manning's offense.  It wasn't fun to watch, but watch I did, to the very end.  Not a great Monday night...
  It started to snow about 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon and fell until 4:30 - I was certain the hens would be inside their coop, avoiding the weather, but I was wrong.  Xuxa and Carter were eagerly awaiting my arrival on the front porch; but the hens were having a party out in the snow.  I re-filled their water, got their evening feed ready, gave them a cooked sweet potato as an enticement, and still had to herd them up and into the coop.  I have a pound of wheat berries for the girls' treat today.
  I spoke to Kathy on Sunday afternoon and asked if she and Jim had any plans for Christmas.  Usually, everything is planned for the day about two weeks in advance; but not this year.  Sarah, Michael and Evie will be in Santa Fe this week, and Mike and Erin will spend the day with her parents.  When I asked Kathy, she had absolutely no plans whatsoever - so I told her that I would be happy to come and cook a meal at her house, or have a meal delivered for them, and/o just stay away and give them a last, peaceful, "normal" day together (since Kathy begins chemotherapy on Friday).  She was very vague and said she'd think about it.  With Kathy beginning chemo on Friday, everyone in the family and all close friends have been warned that her immune system will be shot - and not to visit, if  they have any illness.  My friend Beatrice has a bad cold, so she's avoiding me.
  I figured that I would just stay at home and make myself a big pot of meatballs and marinara sauce for Thursday.  Kathy called and left a message for me last night, stating that she and Jim would love it if I came over and cooked for them.  The only problem is that I currently have a sore throat and runny nose.  It might just be the change in temperature and my allergies - but it might be the beginnings of a cold, as I have to keep clearing my throat....  I'll talk to them today and see what they want to do.  I have to go out and about, travelling to two different houses on Christmas Day, taking care of family pets, anyway - but I really do not want to endanger my sister's health.
  And it seems that Jim's ruptured appendix has healed enough for him to be released from the hospital in Antigua.  He and Jan should be back home on Friday evening, as originally planned - that takes a tremendous load off my shoulders, as I can just go on with my usual schedule, and not have to keep them added to it.

No comments: