Monday, December 8, 2014

Searching For a Grave

I don't know what is causing the huge slow-down, but my computer is having extreme difficulty following my directions.  Pages are consistently "timing out" and I get an unresponsive notification.  I have contacted my internet carrier, and they say the problem is not on their end - so is it a problem with Google? Or is the whole internet having problems?  Facebook doesn't work; I can't up-load photos or make comments, or poke anyone. It took 15 minutes to coax this application to load and run...  The only football team that I was cheering for that was able to win their game yesterday was the Broncos.  The other games and scores made me shudder.
  I spent all of yesterday trying to locate the grave of my great-great grandfather, Judge Hazel Petrie Mobley.  His first wife, who had all of his children, Mary, is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Nevada, Missouri, along with a daughter.  The Judge re-married in 1885, the widow Joanna Britton; I know they are buried in a Nevada, Missouri cemetery.  I don't remember which one, and I remember that when I first found them, I was quite upset that Joanna (who out lived the Judge, and had the tombstones made) had changed the spelling of the family surname.  I have looked on the Find a Grave website, but have been unable to find their graves, even though I'm reading through the listings for all 112 cemeteries in Vernon County.  I know that I found it before, but I can't find my original notes.  It upsets me that I can't remember how Joanna decided to spell Mobley.  I have looked at Mobley, Mobbley, Mobbly, Mobly, Mably, Mabbley, Mabbly, Maberley, Mabberley, Moberley, Moberly,and Mobberly, plus other variations.  I just can't figure out how she changed the spelling of the family name, and I feel stupid because of it.  Oh, well...   I found it before; I'll persevere until I find it again.
  It's another overcast day, and will probably feel chilly since we have a higher than usual humidity and our high will be in the 50s - warmer than usual.  Lovey spent about 20 minutes outside this morning, and Nedi only stayed out for an hour...  It's crazy weather.

No comments: