Sunday, December 7, 2014

Crowded Shopping

Beatrice and I decided that since it was December 6, a Saturday, with the Ferguson/New York protest happening, and some college championship football games being played, it would be "safe" to do some Christmas shopping and looking downtown.  We thought it wouldn't be too crowded.  Bea called me at 9:20 and said she'd be down in a few minutes; her knock on my door came at 11:35 - by that time I knew the shops would be swarming with people...  We had indifferent service at IHOP, and I admit that I tipped accordingly.  The restaurant was not very busy, and our server was very inattentive.
   Then we went to World Market for stocking stuffer shopping.  They were packed, even though it wasn't the 1/2 price sales day.  But we were both able to find some neat items.  Then we went to Red Letter Books, Liberty Puzzles, and the Peppercorn (on the Pearl Street Mall), and picked up a few more things.  I had hoped to go to two more used book stores, but the Peppercorn had been so crowded that we decided not to do so.  There were also quite a few street performers out on the Mall - a small chorale group singing songs, a quartet dressed in Edwardian clothes singing carols, and a group of mimes and jugglers, and a saxophone soloist who was very good.  After that, we headed for the public library, where Bea returned a book, and I searched the very limited selection of books available.  (The library is undergoing renovation, and the adult fiction, mystery, and science fiction/fantasy collections are not available until mid-January - I'm going nuts!)
  I took Bea into the Home Goods store on the way home, just because I wanted her to see their Christmas display items for sale - I had seen wooden, resin, plastic, and tin figures that were much taller than me last week when I visited.  I had been most impressed with a huge tin rocking horse, whose saddle seat was at my eye level.  All of the large items had been sold - and my descriptions were a poor substitute...  Oh, well.  Such is the world of capitalism!
  It's another grey, cloudy day, even though it began with clear skies and bright sunshine.  Lovey is curled up on the foot of my bed, and Nedi has gone to sleep in the cat carrier on top of my dresser.  It's become his favorite place to sleep, lately - and it always gives me a start when I walk by and see green eyes peering out of the side perforations.  I had hoped that Mizzou would be able to upset Alabama yesterday, and that Florida State would lose - No such luck.  I would have been a nice shake-up in the college bowl standings.
  I hope your Sunday is quiet and peaceful.  Tomorrow is back-to-work day. (Ugh!)

No comments: