Monday, December 22, 2014

Giving, Rather Than Getting

I witnessed something really impressive Sunday afternoon on  a local RTD bus.  A gentleman that I know, who chooses to be homeless, was giving a $10 bill to each and every homeless person riding the bus.  It was after 4:30, and the homeless shelter on north Broadway opens their doors at 5 p.m.  I was riding the Skip, a bus that travels north and south along Broadway only - every day it's northern terminus is the Boulder Homeless Shelter.  The gentleman is known to me as Roy - that's the only name he uses.  He's a war veteran who suffers from PTSD; he lives frugally on his Social Security Disability payment, and gets his medical care through the Veteran's Administration.
  Roy can look frightening - unless you look into his eyes.  He dresses himself from the Army Surplus store in boots, camo pants, and an old fatigue jacket.  He is a tall man, well over 6 feet, and is strongly muscled.  He has iron grey hair that spills more than half-way down his back; and he has a full, almost white beard that is about 6 inches long.  He has hazel eyes behind wire-framed glasses.  As far as I know, he stays away from cigarettes, alcohol and drugs.  I've never seen him in any state other than sober, to my knowledge. He has a gruff voice and a slight backwoods accent.
  Roy works part-time and he pan-handles part-time.  He saves his money until the Holiday season.  Then, from December 20th through January 2nd of each year, he hands out cash, twice a day, to other homeless people.  They aren't large amounts of cash, but, when you're homeless and have no hope, seeing a member of the homeless community passing out cash every morning and evening during the holiday season to other homeless people is an impressive act.  I give Roy $20 each year, and have done so for the past 7 years.
  It was an accident that I happened to see Roy handing out his money to other needy people yesterday.  I knew that he had been doing it for the past 9 years.  Yesterday was the first time I saw the confusion, disbelief, and joy on the faces of the people he gave money to.  (He does it at different places and times each day.) I think that Roy, the homeless man, is the epitome of a gentleman; he gives to others for the pure joy of giving during a time of year that is cold in Colorado, and a time when everyone enjoys a little extra jingle in their pockets.  I'm going to start doubling my contribution to him next year.
  The looks on the faces of some of the men and women made me weep...

No comments: