Thursday, April 16, 2015

Snow!

Weather-wise, Boulder has had a great few past weeks.... Highs in the 60s and 70s (F), breezes, no rain.  But that's also a problem because we are an arid area, up against the mountains.  The snow pack, which we depend on for water during the Spring and Summer, has shrunk greatly.  We are getting a respite from the dry weather over this next week.  After a week of warmth causing me to pin my hair up, the snow began falling at six o'clock this morning.  The snow melted as it struck my face on the way to the bakery this morning, and I could see wet spots from flakes on the sidewalk as I walked home.  The grass in the back yard is now covered - and the squirrels are looking wet and raggedy.  I put out extra nuts and dried fruit for the squirrels this morning, as well as seed for the birds - and I will do so again tomorrow.  The weather guys say we'll get between 3 and 17 inches of snow by tomorrow night.  I'd rather just have rain - but we need the moisture, so I'm not complaining.
  I returned the books to the library yesterday, but I didn't have time to pick up any more to read...  I'll make do with old favorites here at home for the rest of he week and weekend.  I closed all the open windows on the chicken coop at Dellwood last night, not knowing whether we'd get rain or snow - or when it would start.  I've let the hens out this morning, and, besides their scratch, gave them broccoli and sweet potatoes.  They have a sheltered area at the front of their coop, and there are several other places they can seek refuge in around the yard, so I'm not worried about them.  (It might be hard to round them up this evening - but that's later...)  I decided to leave Carter and Xuxa in the house today, so they're a little upset with me.
   Lovey and Nedi stepped out onto the patio this morning, then came back inside.  That's normal for Lovey, but odd for Nedi.  The poor little boy has a nasty head and nose cold - he really likes slightly warmed broth, and it helps him get rid of nose congestion, so he's getting the royal treatment.  Since he's not feeling his best, he's been snuggling as much as possible - so I have him on one side of me and Lovey on the other anytime I sit down or lie down...  It's very comforting and nice - except when Nedi begins a sneeze string that lasts for more than three minutes.  Then it's wet and messy; but he's my little boy, and I love him no matter what.

No comments: