Saturday, August 8, 2015

Vacation - And a Surprising Sight

I saw something yesterday that I hadn't seen before...  I was waiting at a bus stop just past a major intersection in Boulder.  The lane is defined by a raised concrete and brick divider and there is a sign that reads "Buses Only" at the beginning of the lane.  There are two large shopping centers on either side of the six lane (eight with the bus lane on each side) highway, and there is a pedestrian crosswalk that travels from one side of the street to the other.  Where the crosswalk encounters concrete curbs, there is a small slope, so there are no bumps for people in wheelchairs.  In a space of five minutes, I saw three different drivers pull into the bus lane, and then turn into the shopping center parking lot on the pedestrian crossing openings.  It was surreal - the openings barely accommodate a compact car, but I watched a Toyota Prius, a Jeep Patriot, and a full size Ford pick-up truck (all with female drivers, I hate to say) use the crosswalk as a turn lane.  I know Boulder is weird, but this was crazy...
   I had a fantastic time while on vacation; but a stressful and worried time while moving.   I hadn't planned on moving, and those expenses wiped out my vacation savings.  Thanks to two very good friends (who are also house-sitting clients) I was able to survive the move and have some spending money while in Virginia.  When I was not staying with 8 other family members in our rental for a week, I was staying with my cousin, Karen Quillen.  I cried when I returned to the mainland, driving across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge - I did not want to return to the madness of the mainland.  I only returned because of my promise to my sister, my two cats, Rosie, and my newly signed one year lease.  If any, and/or all of the above were not in Colorado, I would not be here, either.
   I was able to see the Chincoteague ponies.  I saw parts of the roundup.  I saw the Dawn Beach Walk.  I did not see the actual swim from Assateague to Chincoteague, but I saw the parade on Main Street to the Carnival Grounds.  I saw, and participated in, the Pony Auction.  I saw the swim back to Assateague.  I saw many cousins and friends.  I relaxed and had a wonderful time.
   But, now, back in Colorado, I can again avow: You can shake the sand of Chincoteague and Assateague from your shoes, but you cannot sweep it from your soul.

No comments: