Thursday, August 6, 2015

Captain Barry is BEST on Chincoteague Island

While moving, my internet access was down.  Then I left for two weeks on Chincoteague Island  -  and I have to admit that I cried as I crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, leaving the Eastern Shore, and headed for the mainland.  Back in the mid-1980s, there was an extremely popular bumper sticker (on the Shore) that read, "There is no life and no intelligence west of the Chesapeake Bay."  I completely agreed with that sentiment as I was crossing the Bay itself.
  But I'm back in Boulder, Colorado now.  I see the Flatirons of Boulder, the eastern outpost of the Rocky Mountains, from my current seat.  They are gorgeous.  They are awe inspiring.  But I miss the rhythms of the sea, the call of sea birds, and the scent of marsh mud.  Had it not been for my two cats, my new year-long lease, my sister, and Rosie, I would not be here.  I'd be getting more sand in my shoes and in my soul....
   I went on several cruises and tour boat outings while I was on the island, and I spoke to a lot of tourists who had also taken the tours.  Most tours are 90 minutes to 2 hours long.  Younger children (and, me, too, at age 59) can get very bored just sitting in a boat and looking in the direction someone points while talking.  Some of the information is excellent, and some is a bunch of hogwash, depending on the Captain, or "guide," you have. If you are there for ponies only, Captain Dan's tours are the best available.  However, if you want a fun, exciting learning experience that just might encourage your youngster to do some research on his/her own, then Captain Barry is the man with the magic.
   I have to admit that I wasn't too sure that I would enjoy a two hour cruise with a 2 year-old (just turned) on board.  I guess I had forgotten how Captain Barry's charisma and charm works.  First, small children adore Captain Barry - I think they can sense his enjoyment of their company and his high spirits and true love of the water.  Barry's trips are interactive cruises, unless you take the Champagne Sunset Cruise, for adults.  The Sea Exploration cruises that Captain Barry delivers are the best to be found on the Eastern Shore - and probably on the entire East Coast of the United States.  "An incredible learning experience for the whole family," was the response I heard most often from the adults I spoke with.  The majority of the kids said that it was "lots of fun" and that they were eager and ready to go out with Captain Barry, again, immediately.
  I'll admit that it was relaxing, occasionally, to clamber aboard a boat and just sit and listen to someone else spout information.  All I had to do was tune out the other folks' conversation, and look at the birds, a few dolphins, and the ponies, as we came upon them.  Captain Barry, however had me climbing on and off the boat, going into the water, handling clams, shrimp, oysters, crabs, jellyfish, and all the creatures and things that appeared in the trawl net.  I had a wonderful time!  And Evelyn, the two year-old, was always entertained, had things to do to "help" Captain Barry and, even though it was well past her nap time, she stayed smiling and bright.  And it was Captain Barry that made it happen.  He is simply the best when it comes to cruises with kids.  Period.
  And, yes, I'll give him more free advertising!   Check out Captain Barry's Back Bay Cruises on Chincoteague Island, Virginia.  The phone number for reservations is:  (757) 336-6508.  You can e-mail him at captainchincoteague@gmail.com   If you don't believe my reviews, you can always ask the folks as they disembark from a trip with Captain Barry at the dock at old Marlin Street (west of Main Street) - where the Chincoteague Inn used to stand, and where the Jackspot is now open.  Captain Barry helped make our vacation dreams come true.  He's a wonderful man.

No comments: