Saturday, January 30, 2016

Weather and Parental Warnings

So I'm sitting in Rosie's dining room, having just eaten a meal of scrambled eggs and sausage.  It's a few minutes after six in the evening, and I've been up and going for twelve hours plus.  I had a chocolate iced doughnut at 8 this morning, and a navel orange at 1 this afternoon.  I feel stuffed and full of food, but I want something sweet.  I say that's "Momma's Curse" since the Swedes were the first people to build a candy factory....
   At least I was only skittering between four places today - the ABCs returned yesterday, so I didn't need to be there to give Pounce thyroid medication every 12 hours.  Today, it was Rosie, Finn, Seek, Carter and Xuxa; not to mention seeing my own kits twice for an hour each time today.  Everyone is inside and has been fed supper.  I'll need to leave just before 8 to pick my roommate up from work and take her home.  The weather forecasters are calling for an inch of snow tonight - but Boulder weather patterns are very difficult to predict.  Rosie's folks will return Sunday evening; and Seek, Carter and Xuxa's two families will return Tuesday morning.  I'll be with Finn until Friday, when I switch over to staying with Maggie May.  Home again in my own bed on 8 February....   And, of course, I'm walking Rosie and Tess every weekday.  Staying busy, I am.
   I have the feeling that senile dementia is getting hold of Rosie.  Usually she sleeps the night through, unless she has an upset stomach.  Last night, she was up every 90 minutes, barking to be taken out.  Each time, she did not go to the bathroom, she just walked calmly over to her bed on the deck and settled in.  I roused her out each time and took her back upstairs...  I hope she doesn't pull this tonight, as I need to sleep.  I think I'll bring Finn over to spend the afternoon, until Rosie's folks return tomorrow - they get along well, and maybe Finn's presence will get Rosie to eat her meals in a timely manner.  We'll see.
   I still can't believe that my hair has grown out so much...  if the wind blows, it's constantly in my mouth.  I pull it back and pin it up on top of my head when I'm at home because I'm so hot and sweaty.  I don't know if I can stand another summer of sweat running down the back of my head and my neck - I might have to chop it off again.  It scares me at night when I wake with unknown fur all over my face (my hair); and Lovey constantly parades back and forth across my chest when I'm sitting at my desk.  Her weight pulls on my hair unbearably...   I have a tender  scalp and tender feet soles.  Guess I'm a wuss.
   I'll need to check with Finn's folks and find out what vehicle I'm supposed to drive while they are gone...  I hope it's the Audi, because if it does snow, the MiniCooper is useless.  And I'm afraid to take the Tesla out on the road...   Forecasters are saying an inch of snow tonight, rain tomorrow changing to snow in the evening, and anywhere between three and thirty inches of snow Monday and Tuesday.  At least I know how to use the snowblower at Finn's - that'll get me down the quarter-mile driveway to the gates and the local residential road.  I've stocked up with food, drink, books, and a new coloring book just in case the 30-inch prediction is correct.
   When my sister and her husband had supper with me Thursday night, to celebrate our Mom's 94th birthday, we were discussing how our parents would tell us not to do something, but not give a reason for not doing whatever.  Kathy and I discussed how, at 83, Great-Uncle Ray went on a tour of the western states on a motorcycle; he sent us fantastic postcards from the places he visited.  Kathy and I thought that would be the coolest thing in the world to do- but Mom and Dad both told us that riding motorcycles was dangerous.  We were never to get on a motorcycle, period.  When Kathy was in 8th or 9th grade, she rode as a passenger on a motorcycle - and, the very first time she rode, they were involved in a wreck and Kathy was on crutches for several weeks.  Mom and Dad just said, "See? Motorcycles are dangerous."   I thought about that today when I read a local headline - One Killed, Several Stabbed At Denver Motorcycle Expo - and my mind just said, "There you go..."
   Do we ever really get away from things that our parents drummed into our brains?

No comments: