Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Indian Gulch Fire Grows

Geez... The Indian Gulch fire has now burned over 1,200 acres and is only 15% contained; 100 homes have been evacuated; and the federal government is now in charge. They are expecting winds up to 75 mph today around Mount Galbraith, so the hopes of water drops and slurry from air tankers are just about nil. There was also a small wildfire along Soda Creek, near Evergreen, yesterday, but that has been totally contained. A third wildfire has also been extinguished. I can tell you that my cough is definitely not any better with all the smoke and particulates floating around in the air! If I look south-southwest from my apartment, I can see the smoke from Indian Gulch - and anyone can smell it. It made the dogs tense this morning while walking. It got up to 75 degrees here in Boulder yesterday, and police broke out a window in a parked car to save a puppy that had stopped moving and was barely breathing - it was 98 degrees inside the car. The puppy is at the vet clinic at the Humane Society and the owner has been ticketed and charged with animal cruelty. The local police also responded to two other instances of dogs locked inside cars yesterday. Those owners are idiots.
Nedi wanted to be picked up and made much of when I arrived home this morning - it was nice, but seemed odd: he's usually quite an independent little guy. Lovey has walked all over me and helped me unpack, and started purring when I put my alarm clock back on the bedside table. She is one smart little queen. I see Dr. P today and tomorrow afternoon I'll (finally) get DirecTV installed - I have kept moving the date back because of pet-sitting and the surgery.
The "Super Moon" that showed on Saturday, 19 March, was very beautiful. I can't really say that it looked any larger or brighter to me, but it was a glorious sight. Since I was small, I have always seen a rabbit on the moon and not a "man in the moon." I still see a rabbit in the moon and was interested to read that the ancient Maya also "saw" a rabbit in the shading on the moon. Does that make me any weirder than I usually am? Does it make the Maya weird? Actually, does anyone else see a rabbit up there? Or do you see something else? Let me know...

No comments: