Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Goodbye to an Olympic Champion

Hickstead won an Olympic gold medal for Show Jumping at the Beijing games.  The 15-year-old Dutch Warmblood stallion collapsed and died after after completing a jumping round in the Rolex World Cup event in Verona, Italy on Sunday.  He seemed to be fine, walked out of the competition ring, then sat back on his haunches, and rolled over onto his side.  He was gone within 90 seconds.  I am sure that his rider, Eric Lamaze, is devastated by this sudden loss of a loving and giving partner.  An autopsy will be performed to determine what caused the death of this Canadian champion.  Hickstead will be missed by many.  (Kathryn, thanks for bringing this to my attention.)

Both Rosie and Remy acted foolish again today - it's as if the cooler fall air has turned them into puppies again, and they are running and jumping and carrying on like a pair of nuts.  We did have another good walk, and although they wanted to bark at a new dog we met, they behaved and did not.  Lovey and Nedi are both very clingy in their attitudes toward me - it will be at least another 2 years before I feel it'll be safe to travel away from them again.  ....  I've seen three of my regular bus drivers since I've returned, and have missed only one so far.  They are already asking when I'll bake for them again.  ....  And both the Gators and the Broncos won this past weekend.  I have something to smile about again!

No comments: