Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving Week Will Be Busy

The temperature has actually dropped since I first arose this morning - it's gone down to 23 degrees, and it was 27 when I got up.  It's clear and cold out; walking to the store this morning I was heading east and saw glorious orange-painted clouds against a light blue sky, looking straight up I saw a bright crescent moon, and looking west, the mountains were gleaming gold from the sun, while the snow was a very soothing pink.  It was gorgeous.  Yesterday I spent loving the kits and watching football.  The Gators and the Gamecocks won; I turned to NCIS when the CU Buffs were trailing 21 - 0 in the first 7 minutes of their game - it was just too painful.  And, I had forgotten that Mark Harmon's USA TV movie had originally broadcast on November 6th; so I was highly gratified that I could see Harmon portray Lucas Davenport in "Certain Prey" last night.  I really enjoyed it - considering they had to put a 400-page book into less than 90 minutes of screen play.  John Sandford's books are better, but I like having Mark Harmon as eye candy, so I'll give it a thumbs up.
I will be busy this week - I'll be walking Rosie and Remy, and Olie, Annie and Bentley daily; Monday through Wednesday I'll be caring for Aiko and Yoshi, feeding, walking, and keeping them company; Tuesday through Sunday I'll be staying at Alexy's taking care of Shady and Cloudy.  Lynn doesn't know if her daughter will be around all the time to care for Tessa, Lilly, Lyra and Dhisana, so I'm also "on call"  for their house.  (Not to mention taking care of and loving my own kits!)  Thanksgiving Day, I'll be headed up to Fort Collins for the Snow family gathering - at least Kathy doesn't have to work this year - so I'll cook up some old-fashioned corn pudding and make a fruit platter.  Since we have family members with gluten and dairy allergies, as well as a few diabetics, I'll be making the corn pudding with almond "milk" and a sugar substitute... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this recipe will turn out well!
I spent an hour on Ancestry.com (free at the public library) but didn't find anything new about my great-great-grandfather in that small amount of time.  I was able to look at the original Civil War pension applications, and found that Singleton Busey had used the name William J. Morgan (not Margan) while he was a member of the Kansas Indian Home Guard. And I was surprised to find that both of his wives were granted pensions after his death - both Nancy E. Busey and Mary A. Morgan were granted pensions, I guess because he actually served twice, in two separate units.  (I still think and feel that that is weird...)  And even though I have a date of death for SW Busey of 1900 (aged 82), there is also a record of an "aged man" named SW Busey marrying a widow in 1910....  I gotta dig some more!

No comments: