Sunday, November 13, 2011

Oh, My!

I stayed awake reading a book until 2 this morning.  Then I awoke at 6, at usual.  I fed the kits, cleaned the litter boxes, and checked my e-mail.  Then I wandered down the corridor to the north to walk over to the bakery and get a fresh bagel.  Taped across the door was a large sign that read, "Please use main doors!"  I peeked out the small window beside the door, and had to do a double-take.  The electric power line and cable line was lying on the ground just outside the door; and the large cottonwood tree that has housed at least three squirrel nests was in pieces, on the ground.  Yikes!  I don't even know when the tree came down - yesterday afternoon, last night, or this morning.  I'd heard several loud thumps during our windy hours, but I had no idea the old tree had fallen, nor that the branches had taken out the power line, causing the power pole to snap and crash, too.  ....  The squirrels who lived in the tree seem to be at a loss, and I can understand that.  I have put out extra nuts for the little guys on the patio, and I'm certain they will avail themselves of it.  I just wish I could also put up some  replacement housing for them!
Looking at Folsom Field and the Flatirons from the main doors of my apartment this morning

The base of the tree trunk, and a now-homeless squirrel

The remnants of the lowest hollow in the tree, at a height of about 5 1/2 feet, which contained a squirrels nest

The broken power and cable pole at the north door of the apartment building

The tree top and the top of the power pole outside the north door

The electric and TV cables ripped from the north end of the building (and my reflection in the window)

No comments: