Thursday, November 3, 2011

Weather Shock

I left Boulder on Tuesday, October 25, when I visited Florida.  I knew that the Boulder-Denver area was expecting snow the next day.  It was 82 degrees when I arrived in Jacksonville, and there was just the hint of saltwater in the air.  I had worried that, after spending 8 years in very dry Colorado, the humidity would bother me.  It did not - in any way, shape, or form.  For my entire stay in Florida, the high temperatures were in the lower 80s and upper 70s; and I relished it. I wore shorts and T-shirts all the time, except when Carolyn and I went horseback riding.  ....   I returned to Boulder with  the air temperature at 41.  It started to snow late Tuesday night, and we ended up with 8.5 inches of the white stuff by noon.  I had to dig out my wool socks, snow boots, hats, gloves, and scarves.  What a bummer! I had expected to walk Rosie and Remy yesterday, but their owners canceled the stroll due to the weather.  Last night, I had Finn and Skippy as sleeping companions.  Lovey and Nedi became very upset when they saw me put the alarm clock in my overnight bag yesterday afternoon.  Lovey draped herself across my shoulders, behind my neck.  She was difficult to dislodge when I had to leave.

But I'm back home at the moment, and will return this afternoon - the Snitmans gave me free use of their Beemer while I'm there.  I feel the need to stay with my kits a little bit extra each day, as I was gone for 8 days, and only back for 24 hours before I left again.  My kits are feeling vulnerable, and I don't want to upset them any more.  Luckily, both Finn and Skippy are used to their parents being gone for 8 to 10 hours each day.  That way, I can spend 5 hours (in two parts) with my kits and not feel bad about Finn and Skippy.  ....  Right now, the streets are clear, but snow is everywhere else.  The tops of the Flatirons and front range mountains were wreathed in cloud yesterday, but they are clear this morning.  We are expecting partly sunny weather until Saturday, when we will again get hit with either rain or snow.  We'll see what happens...

If you are interested in the Breeders Cup Races, being run tomorrow and Saturday, you can find information on all the races and all the entries for each race at:  http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/breeders-cup/     I hope to look at the entries this afternoon or evening, so I can make my choices for tomorrow's races.

No comments: