Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cezanne Is Gone, Too

Knowing I'll be saying goodbye to Suki this morning, it was a surprise to read that Kevin McBride's Chincoteague Pony stallion, Cezanne, had passed away.  I took multiple photos of Cezanne during the summer of 1989; he was a very splashy chestnut and white foal.  His markings were intriguing, but not overpowering.  I took a lot of photos of him standing by the water of ponds or ditches; it seemed he was always looking at his reflection, if he wasn't playing (at full speed) with the other foals.  He grew up to be a magnificent stallion, was trained to ride and drive, and was the sire of quite a few foals - including several at the Chincoteague Pony Farm, which owns and shows ponies that are related to Misty.  Kevin stated that he was particularly touched by the fact that Maureen Beebe called him as soon as she heard of Cezanne's passing, and shared her memories of him as a foal.   (Maureen may avoid publicity, may be very shy, but she has a lot of class!)  Cezanne was one handsome Chincoteague Pony!

The kits are currently out playing in the sun, before I get them inside to go walk the red kids.  It's supposed to get cloudy this afternoon, with a possibility of overnight or morning snow.  It's already in the low 40s - but the Chinook is blowing again.  Thank goodness the Chinook is supposed to die down this afternoon!  Otherwise, we'd have a blizzard, if it snowed.  ....  We've had several avalanches lately, and the possibility of more is extremely high.  That's why I'm staying out of the high country.  While I might hike up into the foothills, or along the Flatirons, there's no way you can get me into the back country right now.  And, of course, with all the snow, we've also had several deaths - from folks buried in avalanches to people skiing or snowboarding into trees.  It's sad, really.  But, then again, if the people who died died happy, then good on them.  (I've been told multiple times that I should never attempt to ride a horse, pony, or steer again - but I keep getting back on, because I enjoy it.  I'd rather die doing something I love, than just sit and watch others have all the fun!)  I'm definitely one of the people who intend to enjoy their own life (as long as I don't endanger others)!!!

No comments: