Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Colleen Ryan is special!

Yesterday afternoon, I received a phone call from my GP. She said she knew I didn't want a cast on my right wrist and thumb, but to please listen to her. I did. She explained that the bone I had broken was kidney shaped, and that there's a vein that loops around it; when the wrist and thumb aren't cast, usually half of the broken bone dies - and 6 months down the road you need surgery to remove the dead bone. She then said it was up to me, but she'd recommend a cast over surgery any day... Would your GP call and explain the choices you'd face several months down the road? That's why I feel that Colleen is a very special doctor!

What did I do? I now have a cast that goes half-way up my right arm, and has quadrupled the sized of my thumb. Ladies: if you want to try something difficult, go to the restroom, and then try to dry/wipe/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, with your opposing hand. That's how I'm doing.

There's about 5 inches of snow on the ground this morning - Suki and Boo were up to their bellies in it when I let them out in the backyard for a run and potty-time. We're expecting a high of 30 today, but 50 tomorrow, so the snow should melt quickly in the sun. The heater is still not putting out heat into the house, so I've got the space heaters and oven on again - the wind chill outside is currently 7 degrees.

I'll be headed home for my kits shortly, and, having slept poorly last night, I'll probably curl up in my own bed with them, after filling the bird feeders and putting out peanuts. Will probably add more later, including some photos...

No comments: