Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Santa Memories

Whilst in Peru, Jim Snow, my brother-in-law, was usually knee-deep in children calling him "Papa Noel." That reminded of the times children would visit our house, because they wanted Dad to play with them. And it sent me back to a trip we made when I was in grade school - we were travelling back from Chincoteague, and had stopped for the night in a very small town in Georgia (Dad always drove the back country roads as opposed to the interstates) - we checked into the motel, and walked two blocks down to the town diner. Small children ran out to peek at us, and we heard a lot a loud whispers of "Santa Claus!" While we were eating, a crowd of about 40 small children built up outside, watching us eat through the diner's windows. After our meal, Dad sat down on the bench outside and listened to each and every one of those kids tell him what they wanted for Christmas - even though it was August, and Dad was in shirt sleeves and trousers... That is one of my treasured memories of our family.

It's about 30 degrees outside now - I've finished my grocery shopping for the year (had to get cat food, kitty treats, kitty litter, and Coca-Cola). I walked to Target this morning and shopped - it was very quiet for the last day of shopping before Christmas.... there were only about 20 customers in the store... it was eerie. The kits have been running in and out, with Banichi menacing the young squirrels. He did that to one yesterday, and the squirrel jumped onto him - Banichi was so astonished that he just fell and rolled over.... and the youngster just hopped back up into the chair and continued to eat. I need to pack and wrap, which is going to take me forever without my right hand... have a nice, quiet Christmas Eve!

No comments: